Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody reload the 350 Legend yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Love to hear about it.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten around to ordering a .358 SPEC reamer and dies, yet -- but I am interested as well

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No and never will, but here is a story; our state banned the use of the 350 as the law says minimum .357 caliber. As we all know now, the 350 was developed as a 9mm so they could use the massive 9mm bullet machines. Later for some reason, they now do allow it. Proves that Government bureaucrats are idiots.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but I reworked 100 rounds of new .350 Legend brass into 7x33 Sako. It works beautifully.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for it a little. The load I settled on is a Hornady 170 gr., .355 bullet and Lil' Gun powder. I stopped at a half grain over the starting load. The primers are flattening pretty good and the velocity is adequate at 2479 fps. Accuracy is about 1.25" at 100 yds. I also tried W296, but accuracy was not as good. All the loading data I have used is from the Hodgdon website.

I shot a nice buck with it last fall.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got out to shoot this past weekend, and found almost exactly the same results with L'lGun, as my velocity was 2459, but 296 (aka. H110) shot just as well.

Going to shoot them all again this week, and see if I can duplicate results.

Hornady 170 gr ammo was 2266, little faster than what was quoted on the box.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon CFEblk is worth looking at for rifle barrels. I like it in 357 MAX. It's about the same as Accurate 1680 but not the flash. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No and never will, but here is a story; our state banned the use of the 350 as the law says minimum .357 caliber. As we all know now, the 350 was developed as a 9mm so they could use the massive 9mm bullet machines. Later for some reason, they now do allow it. Proves that Government bureaucrats are idiots.

https://winchester.com/350-leg...ase%20was%20designed.

You'll find in there Winchester uses a .357 diameter bullet.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is marketing hype; meant to dupe the ill informed into thinking it is a .357.
It ain't; it is a 9mm. All bullets used it are .354/5. That is the issue here; none of us here can fathom why, it was not designed for what we know and already use, .357 and .358, and some real rifle bullets.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And I forgot add; the .357 dimension does come from the SAAMI specs; hut realize that those are quite generous in tolerance and for the 350, it is .357 MINUS .003. Which allows Winchester to say it is a .357, while making the bullets and barrels .354/5, still within the SAAMI spec.
It was not designed for reloaders; it was made for midwest deer hunters who have to use a straight walled cartridge and can't handle the recoil of a .450.
If we had designed it here on AR, it would be a .358 groove and chamber, allowing 357 and 358 bullets to be used. But no one here was asked that I know of.
And there are actually AR members who have ordered custom chamber reamers to allow that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use .357 to .358 bullets in the current factory chamber providing you don't load out the full diameter portion of the bullet to where it touches anything. I have a 350 AR15 and have loaded much fatter bullets then mentioned. There are many guns we have accepted that aren't anywhere near the caliber inscribed on them. One that comes to mind is the .357 Magnum Colt Python...what the groove diameter on that dcpd? Not anywhere's near .358. Many 35 Remington barrels don't have .358 grooves either. The 350 Legend freebore, right in front of the case mouth is .357 so no reason it can't use a .357 bullet. As mentioned with factory brass you can load a fatter bullet the .357 as long as it's full bearing diameter doesn't touch anything like the freebore, leade, rifling. You just don't like the round. After I bought on I got some respect for it. It serves the purpose Winchester intended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer the original posters question I reload for it. I'm a cast bullet shooter which this is a great caliber for cast. I chose a 200 grain bullet mould made by LEE for the 35 Remington for my bullet. It shoots it great with the right powder. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread I've sized it from .356 all the way up to .359 looking for the sweet spot. I'm using an AR15 and I'm going to say it thumps your shoulder way more then a 223 every would. It instills confidence that it will harvest deer with no trouble at all. It has plenty enough accuracy for it's intended purpose.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True about the Python but the barrel is not the issue. Many ar chambers won’t accept a 357, or 358. I guess some will. But I have not seen a factory round with anything but a .355.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would be very easy to resize any 357/358 cup and core bullet to 355. Using lee dies

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True about the Python but the barrel is not the issue. Many ar chambers won’t accept a 357, or 358. I guess some will. But I have not seen a factory round with anything but a .355.

You probably don't care, but a trip over to the Castboolits forum and dig up everything on the 350 Legend tells a different story. Most all the AR chambers will accept over a .355 bullet easily if you load it like I said. I've done a chamber cast on it the numbers tell the story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You fellows want to learn the real truth about the 350 Legend go here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.co...end-and-Cast-Boolits

Mine you that is a cast bullet forum.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes I want to learn as much about it as I can because I am trying not to want one. But I am weak so that usually goes away and I end up with one or more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I want to learn as much about it as I can because I am trying not to want one. But I am weak so that usually goes away and I end up with one or more.

LOL I know what you mean. I'll tell you though I think the 450 Bushmaster is a better round. Involves much more recoil though. Far as muzzle blast both are pretty close LOUD!!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The main thing for me is that I can put the 450 BM on any Mauser action and I can't do that with a 350; otherwise I would already have built one.
I marked the first one I did, 450 BushMauser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The main thing for me is that I can put the 450 BM on any Mauser action and I can't do that with a 350; otherwise I would already have built one.
I marked the first one I did, 450 BushMauser.

You could if you put it on a 1891 Mauser Tom!!