Find
Notify
Tools

Gun powder question.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
My gum powder is stored in a dry environment. But where I live gets -20° Below. Do you see in any way where this could harm gun powder? Never had a problem with it before but just got me wondering. Thank you in advance for your opinion.
Marcus

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope heat is what kills powder.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep mine inside the house in an unheated room.
it doesn't get negative 20 in there, but it don't break 60-65 in the summer.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Heat and humidity kill smokeless powder.
I still use powder from WWI that is as good as it was made in 1917.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG:
My gum powder is stored in a dry environment. But where I live gets -20° Below. Do you see in any way where this could harm gun powder? Never had a problem with it before but just got me wondering. Thank you in advance for your opinion.
Marcus

And its 10-20% humidity tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about storing powder in a domestic chest freezer ?
Would that cause any deterioration over time or affect the powders qualities in any way ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

p dog shooter '</nobr>');22 February 2021 03:2222 Nope heat is what kills powder.

what heat temp. is bad to store rifle powder.? just asking

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My general rule is below 90 F is desirable. Low humidity.
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
quote:

p dog shooter '</nobr>');22 February 2021 03:2222 Nope heat is what kills powder.

what heat temp. is bad to store rifle powder.? just asking

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
-20 below does strange things to anything, I would not store powder or much of anything at that temp, and don't thaw it out in the microwave! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
How about storing powder in a domestic chest freezer ?
Would that cause any deterioration over time or affect the powders qualities in any way ?

Two things are wrong with that idea. First, powder should not be stored in a container which confines it such that it could explode with force if ignited. Second, condensation tends to form on anything inside a freezer which would contaminate the powder.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just store it somewhere in your house or a heated work shop is best thats where mine is and idaho gets real cold at times..Changes in temp is hard on powder, some powders are better than others in stored conditions...Keep your powder dry has been a saying for a multitude of years and keep it in a "cool dry place" on the warm side of cool! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like StoneCreek, I'm not a fan of condensation in any fuel.

Any moisture in the powder, even from factory, will magically appear out of the powder when stored below freezing and brought up to ambient to quickly. I don't know if tempering would make much of a difference.

Wish the R&D guys from Hercules Kenville were still alive to ask these questions. Hercules and others made powder and dynamite in some of the most humid states year round.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote