Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General Reloading question
 Login/Join

posted
I have been "seat of the pants" reloading for many years. (always following published recipes, never just random). All of my reloading experience has been for indoor paper target competition. admittedly, I simply chose the mouse fart loads out of the reloading data books and whatever powder had a brand reputation (Hodgdon; Winchester; etc), and always had what I considered good success (plenty trophies across county matches). now as I get older I would really like to understand the science of reloading. When I start with "starting load" how much do I progress toward "maximum load" and at what increnments. i.e. how many shots would be considered a good sample? clean gun in between loads? look for leading/fouling? how will I know if it is me getting tired or the change in load? leave it to folklore on powder and bullet decisions? They tell me 231/bullseye/red dot/unique is old school? are the new powders (Power pistol, etc) that much better in 38spl/45ACP?
Thanks in advance for your opinions

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Let me try.

38 Special and 45acp have to be the easiest there are to reload. They are both low pressure.

New powders? I bought an 8 pounder each of Unique and AA#9 because of versatility.

I've always viewed reloading pistol calibers as a relaxing activity. No jacketed bullets, no burn/blind/deafen loads.

There are others here who are expert on the rifle calibers that are high pressure and challenging. I enjoy reading their posts.

Edit: I probably would have bought an 8 pounder of 231 instead of Unique if it was available at the time.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing you can count on.
the smaller the case, the more touchy it gets!
Upping a few tenths is a must. The only time I blew one up was increasing .1gr!!!

I'm not a serious shooter though. Mostly cast plinker, hunting and such.
I've built a few wildcats. 17x28 on the 5.7 case, touchy as hell loading, .358Ultra mag and such. Long way from 38's.

Talk to the guys you shoot with is a great place to start.
Good luck, and play the game safe.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5939 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load thousands of rounds of handgun ammo a year most are loaded with red dot herco and such.

Might be old school but they work well.

Even older is the Alcan AL-7 I use for 357 125gr JHP makes the best load in this weight I have found. Good velocity less recoil hardly any muzzle flash.

I was lucky and picked up a sealed 3 pound can and a gun show for 18 dollars.

The man that had said most thought it was to old.

I load every thing from mild target loads mostly, to monster stopper loads in my 44mag and 460S@W.

For every full power load I shoot I most likely shoot several thousand lower powered ones.

Posts: 19344 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hell, I bought several of the big cans of Unique made in the 60s, at a closeout sale. Those old lots of it smoke like black powder, and that doesn't bother me. So, old is relative and just shoot; ignore new gimmicks.
Now, if all you are loading is auto pistol, there is not much room between light and heavy loads. Just read the manuals.
To do real load experimentation, using pressure signs, you need to load for rifles, or maybe magnum pistol.

Posts: 17083 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, pistols are touchy at best when it comes to pressure. IMO you have been doing it right up until now..Ive seen a couple of 1911s come apart and its exciting to watch.

To work up loads, like dpcd said, go to rifles, and its a step by step, easy enough to do once you get the hang of it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote