THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Ultra Mag. Vihtavuori and Norma loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody have any experience in using Vihtavuori and Norma powders in a 338 Rem.Ultra Mag.??
I'm desperately looking for some starting loads for 200grs, 210grs, 225grs, and 250grs bullets. Hodgton, IMR, Accurate, and most of the US -powders are hard to find in Norway.
I would get my nightsleep back if anybody could help me.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Try the Sierra 250grBT spitzer or the 250 gr Lapua scenar and 87grs of RL-22. MRP would wprk the same. Both shoot <1 inch groups from my Box stock .338 Rem Ultra.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
Well I know your problem to well, but if you take a Vitavuori or a Norma powder of comparebel burning rate - my esperience tells me that it works fine.
So as Rob surgessted use MRP instead of RL22.
N160 or MRP instead of H4831 and so on.

Hope taht helps you through the nights?

Regards

Mads

<AKI>
posted
460. There are some old threads on 338RUM vs Lapua vs 338-378 were Rust, one of our friends here, reported that his RUM cases have about the same usable volume as the Lapua Mag cases. If this is the case with your cases too you could use the Lapua starting loads.

The usable water volume in grains is about 110 gr water in Lapua Mag. Weight a case after you have shot it, fill it with water to the base of the neck and weight it again. There is the water volume within one grain or so. If it�s close to 110gr use the Lapua starting loads. Lycka till! AKI