New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced loads for the .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy, Looks like I´m getting more sensitive to recoil with age and I´m looking for a moderate load for the .416. I´ve done Trail Boss loads using a 350gr bullet which are fun but it`s not a hunting load. Today I tried the min Vihtavuori N160 load and a 350gr bullet but it`s still not a fun load to shoot. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe AA5744 powder is the 'go to' for reduced recoil loads in virtually any cartridge. Read up on it, but you should be able to get an idea of where to start.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Howdy, Looks like I´m getting more sensitive to recoil with age and I´m looking for a moderate load for the .416. I´ve done Trail Boss loads using a 350gr bullet which are fun but it`s not a hunting load. Today I tried the min Vihtavuori N160 load and a 350gr bullet but it`s still not a fun load to shoot. Anyone have any ideas?

Your question is very broad.

You need to tell us what velocity you wish to have and for what.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66846 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I believe AA5744 powder is the 'go to' for reduced recoil loads in virtually any cartridge. Read up on it, but you should be able to get an idea of where to start.

Yep, 5744 with a cast bullet. Montana Bullet is my source but I guess you can always make your own.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5744 works well for both cast and jacketed bullets. Just a caution, 5744 burns hot and the cases come out EXTREMELY hot.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Right answer is -- turn your .416 Rigby into a .375 something. Sorry, I had a Rigby and understand the recoil thing. 5744 and a cast boolit helped, but recoil was "stiff" for me at 62.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
"charcoal" powders? like rel25 or norma mrp-2 ?
5744 with a filler

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38419 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this load on line, and in my experience, fillers are not needed with A5744. Chrono results vary with powder position, but does not seem to affect accuracy much at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email western powder regarding aa5744 they will give you all the information in less than a day. I use it in my 416 rem lots of fun.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
It seems from your comments you are wanting a light hunting load but hunting what, range, etc, are all factors that need knowing before meaningful advice can be given. I find standard velocity loads in my light 404 Jeffery not overly pleasant to shoot off the bench but of course for hunting where only the odd shot is fired, the 404J is usually quite manageable for most hunters.
For practice loads and shorter range hunting loads for non-dangerous game you can't really go past cast bullets with light charges of fast powder i.e. shotgun or pistol powders such as Red Dot, Unique, etc. A load with a muzzle velocity of 1300-1500 fps with a 400gr cast bullet can be shot all day with no adverse recoil effects and this same load will take smaller game at the normal ranges large calibre cartridges are designed for.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
before I spent 80$ for a pound of 5744 [ever] I would use 40$ a lb 4895 at the recommended 60% level, or use VV-N110 which I'm sure you can easily get.
VV has all kinds of reduced loads for N-110.
and even put out a book a few years back.

it's close enough to Alliant's 2400 that the data can be used with the usual start low and work up cautions.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using surplus IMR7383 for reduced loads in my 416 Taylor. It's a bulky powder which I find helpful in large cases. 55 grains of IMR 7383 pushes a 380 grain cast bullet out the barrel at 1500 fps. It's available at:
https://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnly:
I'm using surplus IMR7383 for reduced loads in my 416 Taylor. It's a bulky powder which I find helpful in large cases. 55 grains of IMR 7383 pushes a 380 grain cast bullet out the barrel at 1500 fps. It's available at:
https://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

I would not be overly happy using the slow burning IMR7383 powder (equivalent to 4831 powder) in reduced loads due to potential ignition problems that could lead to detonation. In early days of working up loads for my 404 with cast bullets I tried H4831 and got acceptable accuracy when i got down to to 55.0grs of that powder but also experienced some delayed ignition. Wisely, I think, I backed off from using such a slow powder in reduced charges. I now use a faster powder for 'heavier' cast loads and a charge of 22.0grs of Red Dot equivalent powder (Vectan AS) for 'light' cast loads giving around 1500fps. Standard primers, no filler or wad needed and very consistent velocity and grouping using this very clean burn powder.
Low charges of shotgun/pistol powder also mean less recoil too for the same velocity generated by 50 grains + any other powder.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote