New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win mod 70 featherweight 270 loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have any loads they like for light-barrelled 270?

So far I've only tried 130gr Nos BT with RL22 and H4831ssc with mediocre results (2" groups or worse).

Thinking I might try Win 760. Any loads you guys like?

Cheap Winchester factory powerpoints (130gr) shot into about 1.5".

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you are talking 270 Winchester.?

139's?... any 4350
I load 54 grains IMR 4350 with 130 sierra for my buddy's I also use H-4350

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry... I meant 130's not 139

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of accurate loads for 270Win. Both of these loads are with 140 grain Hornady BTSP bullets and H4831 powder. The first load is with 56.2 grains of powder with a Win. WLRP primer and the second is with 59 grains lit by a CCI #200 LRP primer. I seat the bullets .010" off the lands. I suppose the Win. primers are that mush hotter than the CCI primers. The first load was shot in a Savage model 111 and the second was shot in a Ruger American. BTW, the H4831 and 270Win are a match made in heaven for most hand loaders, well, so to speak.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last .270 I had was an XTR (push feed) Featherweight. So far, probably the most accurate I have owned, 58 grains of short cut H4831 behind a 150 grain A frame was the Huck, small,small groups. Work your way up if you try it, max load from the Swift manual.
Sold it and got another 9.3. Because I,m a knucklehead..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 130 bullets work up to 60.0 grains of H4831. I've loaded for more than a half dozen different 270s and have yet to find one that wont shoot 1' groups or better at 100 yards with that load. Velocity is almost always over 3100 fps. That includes three different M-70 Featherweights, a pre '64, a 1998 and a 2008.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty close to where everyone else is. 53-56 grs. of IMR-4831 over a 130 or 140 gr. bullet. Usually Sierra but Hornady works well also.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load 60gr of RE22 with 130gr Speer Hot Cor's, 58gr of RE22 with Nosler 150gr Partitions. Both loads use Remington brass and WLR primers.
My rifle has a 22" barrel.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
130gr TTSX over 4831 in my FN M70FWT makes it one of my most accurate rifles.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting heavier deer and elk then check out the 129 grain LRX. It has a little better BC than the other 270 Barnes bullets. If your shots are expected to be over 400 yards I would recommend this 129gn LRX and the use of a rangefinder. Rel-17 and IMR 4451 will probably produce accurate max loads around 54.0--56.0 grains, depending on batch of powder and brass internal capacity.

However, if you are shooting whitetails and smaller mule deer, and expected ranges are all under 400 yards, then I would recommend checking out the 110grain TTSX. Your rifle may end up shooting those between 3350fps-3500fps. It is truly string flat and makes the 270 into a mild recoiling magnum.

Powders and loads for the 110gn TTSX include 60 grains of IMR 4451 and a magnum primer (either Rm9.5M or WLRM) for 3400fps in a 22.4" barrel.
Another good load is 59 or 60 grains of Rel-17 for 3400-3475 fps. Those are max loads and 60 grains of R-17 starts to flatten primers in our 270Win Tikka but is still accurate, producing .75-1.0 MOA. Case life is about 5 loadings before primer pockets loosen up, so you may prefer 59 grains with such a batch of R-17.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 140 grain Nosler Accubonds with 4831 SC and Fed 210M primers.
I will say I believe it is frequently the rifle more than the load. I have a featherweight pre 64 30-06 and a tack driver it ain't! I would get some Accubonds and start a couple grains under max and see what it will do. I'm with the majority favoring 4831 SC. When I get a cranky gun, I try heavy for caliber bullets going slow. That usually tells me what I can expect.
I finally had to have my 06 glass bedded to make it shoot around an inch and a quarter. I have always had better luck with the old standard weight Winchesters rather than the featherweights.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Win
130 NP
56.5g Imr 4831
Fed 210
Shots touching @ 100 in my Rem mountain rifle.
Good luck

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester. The only non-original feature is a hollow plastic Ramline stock with the action glass-bedded.

My go-to load is 49.5 grains of IMR 4320 for just about any 130 grain bullet, but the Sierra Spitz BT seems to be the most accurate at about 2900 fps.

I can get a little better than 1 MOA with the Sierra and slightly larger groups with Hornady, Nosler Partition and Speer Spitz BT.

This isn't my most accurate rifle, but for hunting it is a dream to carry and shoot, and it's accurate enough for any game I'd hunt with a .270.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've never own one but I have developed loads for several 270Wins.
I have yet to find any cartridge I have loaded for that did not give good accuracy with Sierra bullets therefore that is where I would start.

H4831 or H4831SC as it is now known has always produced excellent accuracy and high velocity in the 270W. Mostly I loaded 59-60gr H4831 with a 130gr bullet, Hornady were fine but Sierra better than any.

To be honest I often found various Nosler bullets did not always give good results in several cartridges I tried them in.

If you cannot get the accuracy you are looking for with H4831SC and Sierra bullets then you have a problem with your rifle that can be fixed, or maybe just not an accurate barrel.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
130 TTSX 55gr H4350 (Barnes max book) seated to front groove and crimped. MAkes small little groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
If you cannot get the accuracy you are looking for with H4831SC and Sierra bullets then you have a problem with your rifle that can be fixed, or maybe just not an accurate barrel.

Or, as in my case, you aren't the world's greatest marksman! Big Grin

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting 3 270s I find very little difference in accuracy between the two standard weight and the featherweight; however only one of the three is a factory barrel (the featherweight being a Douglas).

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should change only one variable at a time. You didn't say if you had worked up to your load, if not you should because often 59 gr is more accurate than 60 gr. or sometimes the opposite. You could also try H or imp 4350 powder. My 270 likes h4350 better than 4831. It seems like the bullet might be the problem because winchester factory is more accurate than your handholds with nosler bullets. Make sure your loaded reloads don't have a noticeable wobble when rolled over a smooth surface. You should be able to get an accurate load. Hope this helps. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bbell:
You should change only one variable at a time. . . . Bob

Words to base everything you want to improve doing on!

Oh . . . I agree. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a .270 wont shoot with 58 to 60 grs. of either 4831 then you will more than likely have to live with two inch groups, which ain't all that bad, except on the internet!

Ive owned many 270s and they all liked that load and powder..Jack O'Connor said so!!

I think, were I in your shoes, that I would glass bed that rifle..I would bed it tight to start with and shoot it, if I wasn't satisfied Id 3 point bed it at tang, 2 inches of barrel with pressure up front as many fwts like 3 point bedding, but if not you can free float it...Do it in this order only as you can take wood out butcha can't put it back. I would bet dollars to donuts that's the fix.

It that doesn't work and its a pre 64, Ill trade you a new Browning BLR in 270 I just bought and test fired and it shoots under a half inch every time. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me ask you something about that Mr. Ray.

Is that because of the Fwt barrel, or the stock?

The reason I am asking is that I have a McMillan Fwt stock on order to swap out the stock on my ( now my wifes) Extreme Weather 270 Win. It is the new style late model of the Model 70 with its factory stock having the bedding block in it. The stock works but it is bulky for her so I ordered up the Featherweight stock with pillars etc and the idea to further bed the barrel too when it arrives in 3 or 4 months from McMillan. These EW barrels are the standard weight stainless barrels but fluted and at 22 inches.

So I am hoping to bed it tight and free float the barrel.

Yes it shoots quite accurately as it is from the factory, but I wanted both a trimmer stock and some more better action and barrel bedding too.

Thank you for your inputs.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOst fwt Win. mod. 70s seem to shoot best with some upward pressure on the forend. but this can only be determined by shooting..

My post was set up for a wood stock as one can take wood out but can't put it back..Not so with a composit stock.

Your fwt. wt. will probably be free floated as its piller bedded...you can glass bed it tight and work from there..but if its shooting great as is, my advise is if it ain't broke don't fix it. just bed it the same way the factory stock is bedded as the factory stock shoots accurately.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If a .270 wont shoot with 58 to 60 grs. of either 4831 then you will more than likely have to live with two inch groups, which ain't all that bad, except on the internet!

Ive owned many 270s and they all liked that load and powder..Jack O'Connor said so!!

If that doesn't work and its a pre 64, Ill trade you a new Browning BLR in 270 I just bought and test fired and it shoots under a half inch every time. tu2

WHAT HE SAID! tu2

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C.C.:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

If that doesn't work and its a pre 64, Ill trade you a new Browning BLR in 270 I just bought and test fired and it shoots under a half inch every time. tu2

WHAT HE SAID! tu2

Agree, try another bullet, H4831 is the way to go. I use Federal 215 primers over 58g H4831 pushing a 150g Partition to 3000 fps, no pressure signs .5 MOA acuracy in a vintage BDL in 270

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote