New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tin Star powder for light loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a can of Vihtavuori Tin Star (N 32 C) that I'd like to use in my .30-06 for very light practice loads with lightweight jacketed bullets but cannot find any loading data. Anyone have any data? thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuori markets the powder as a replacement for black powder in Cowboy cartridges. I suspect the fear of liability will prevent data regarding its use in modern bottleneck cartridges from being published. There is data for Trail Boss powder, but that won't you any good.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard tales of this powder, along with N330, but after this many years figured it was just a fairy tale.
Don't even hint at it being a replacement for black powder. It is a bulky powder, like Trail Boss, that finds its best, but not only use, in old black powder cartridges and their off-spring where normal smokeless powders only fill about 5% of the case.

Posts: 129 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only reason I bought the powder is that it was the recommended reduced powder load to use in a .300 WM when using the company's abrasive bullets for smoothing out a bore. I'm thinking that they recommended 20 or 22 grains using their 150 grain bullets. I used some for that purpose but not in any other caliber. I could assume that in the 06' it would be a bit less using the same weight bullet but just want to be careful.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Start at @50% filling (14 grains'ish) and work back/forth from there.

Remember just because it's a low speed powder does'nt mean it's a low pressure powder!
100% filling is over max pressure for the 30-06 despite speed being way below par.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use 10gr Red Dot and enjoy, it's safe and no hassles.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote