New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes bullets questions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok here's the story but it may be a bit long.

I worked up a new load for my 300WSM for a trip to Idaho in a couple weeks. I'm using 60.5 grains of RL15 and a Barnes TTSX 168gn bullet. The load is amazing for me but here's the issue. Since I don't shoot a ton I take the time to check the overall length of each round loaded. I was running low on bullets and ordered another couple boxes. Last night I was loading up some rounds to have with me in Idaho. I loaded what was left in one box and opened one of the new boxes.

Two things seemed odd. The first was my round was about 5 thousands longer. I measure using a bullet comparator. The second was the part number on the box was different and it had a statement that says 1-11 twist or faster. The twist for my browning A-bolt looks like 1-12 online.

Looking on the Barnes website the part number I had is not listed. The bullets look the same so I assume the placement of the shoulder is the difference.How do you think this will affect performance and flight?

Why the 1-11 or faster statement? I'm assuming it's just a suggestion as I can't imagine what they could have changed that could make it perform differently.

Any thoughts or ideas.

sorry for the length, just trying to better understand.

Darrell

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The 1-11 is because of the length of the bullet and the suggested twist to stabilize it in flight. Mono metals like Barnes are longer than our cup and core lead bullets. I can't imagine a 1-12 300 WSM but could be I guess. Either way, go shoot 5 of the new ones and your target will tell you if everything is still A OK. If so, don't worry about the new ones either. Most companies change profiles a bit from time to time and Barnes certainly has over the years.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fury01,

Thanks for the input. When I looked online it says 1-12 so I called to confirm and was told it is 1-10 which seems more like it.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote