Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck a case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Had them lubed with Hornady one shot, and I don't think I got it down the case far enough.

Problem was they were new dies, and I am guessing not enough lube.

Had lubed the dies as well.

How do I get the case out?

I used to use olive oil and lots of it, as lube and lube the entire batch. Then spend 3-4 washes with hot and soapy water to get them oil off them.

I have used One Shot before. Never had this problem before.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First I heard of olive oil; it is not suitable for high pressure use.
I use only the Hornady case lube in the tub. I don't trust the sprays.
You will have to drill and tap the case head to pull the stuck case out. I assume the case rim is pulled off. Use a stuck case puller, or a bolt and washers works as well and is free.

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the lube in the tub. I had forgot about it. It always works. Hell it even works as release agent.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bolt socket and washer here.
1/4" drill and tap.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
When you do get the stuck case out change to Imperial Sizing Die Wax and you won't ever have that trouble again, provided you remember to apply some to the case of course Wink

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ya go Eagle!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use spray lubes any more.

I like Hornaday one Shot except for the fact you wasted most of a can as the propellent would go bad.

I went to midway lube in a pump bottle works very well.

I went to a spray when processing thousands of round for PDdog shooting.

Doing one at a time way to time consuming.

I stuck cases over the years my fault not the lubes.

Takes a short time to remove once you know how.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For high-volume rifle reloading where the cases were fired in the same rifle the Lee Collet die does a great job without the need of lubrication. Besides, neck sizing-only makes for longer brass life. I just HATE greasy lubricant when it can be avoided, and you'll never stick a case in a Lee Collet die.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started reloading 22-250 with a new set of Hornady standard rifle dies and they stuck cases like that was normal. I then bought a used set of RCBS dies from a friend and haven't stuck a case since then, and they were all lube with OneShot. Sometimes it is not the lube or how much is used.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had problems with both Hornady and Lyman case lubes. I believe due to the fact that I may not have shaken them up enough!

In the past more than a few years I use Aloe mixed with a product named IssoHeat (a 90+ % Alcohol for gas treatment). WORKS GREAT! 1 oz. Aloe to 12 oz. IssoHeat in a spray bottle. Cheap--$8-9.00 for 2 QTS. of spray!

NO FUSS-----NO MESS!

Hip

Posts: 1796 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Imperial die wax..Its the best..

RCBS makes a stuck case remover and it works..

In tough situation heat the die in a vise with a torch, when it gets hot it will fall out..Ive used this method in the past..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Please do not heat the die; that will soften it and could cause scratched cases; dirt embeds in soft steel.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
If you buy this stuck case remover kit, it will do 2 things.

1. You can get your current stuck case out of the die without harming the die.

2. Just having this stuck case remover kit located somewhere on your loading bench will give off a magic aura, and you'll never stick another case.

I don't know how #2 works, but after I bought this kit, and used it on the one stuck case, I never stuck one again.

Magic?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim, above, is absolutely correct. Apparently the RCBS stuck case remover emits an invisible undetectable gas or creates a force field..... either of which will guide you away from ever sticking a case again.

Bout 20+ years ago my own carelessness helped me stick a 300 case in the sizing die. Soon after, returning from a wedding in Iowa, I stopped at the original Minnesota Cabela's in Owatonna. Left my wife in the car. Walking in to the reloading section. Found the RCBS stuck case puller. Paid and left. Said wife was dazzled that i could resist all that temptation and just quickly buy one small item.

Told her that this public display of male self control was an example my sterling character and fiscal prudence. After a while she would speak to me again. :-)

I used the puller once. It worked just fine. Even with my limited mechanical skills.

Soon after, a reloader friend borrowed the puller to fix his problem. Told him the puller would always be available to him upon request. He has never borrowed it again.

Evidently the stuck case puller effect is long-lasting and transferrable. Sort of like a mega-vaccine.

Thanks to Slim for reminding me....

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it is obviously sorcery. However, I do not own a case puller, but I do have machine tools, taps, and the ability to remove a stuck case at will. I would lathe bore it out if I had to.
Which is why I have only had one. Now, other people do bring me their dies. But they don't own a puller. See how that works?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I remove the decapping stem if the die allows it to be unscrewed out from tht top of the die. Then a punch and small hammer knocks the case out.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I worked running a lathe.
I made lots of them. Very likely
close to a hundred over the years.
Mostly to just give them away to friends.

IF I stuck a case now, I'd have to
make another one. No idea where I
put the last one years ago.

First one I made was for an '06 in a
Herter's die back in 1958. After nothing
else worked I made one of those cups with
a hand cranked drill. I was 14, just starting
out learning the hard way. Wasn't any reloader's
around that I knew of for several years.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve stuck a few over 45 years of loading. The drill and tap through the primer pocket works well.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Removing the decapping rod only works on straight walled cases.
And using the drilled and tapped method; you do not need to actually make anything. Use 1/2 or 5/8ths inch washers.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've only had one + I used the D+T method but shot a bit of Kroil Oil spray in + let it set overnight. I have used the Kroil arresol many times in the past in the HVAC industry to remove stubborn fan blades from motor shafts that wouldn't move otherwise.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had to heat a die hot enough to soften the steel, just enough shrink the stuck case..Apparantly you have not tried it and just made a guess and by gosh..A very prominent metal smith taught me how to do it..It worked for me and I did a couple for friends..

That said its easier to use the RCBS tool on my bench and you don't have the set up time..

Also in many cases your dealing with a rim thats been torn off by the user, and that complicates the issure a tad..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the aura of the RCBS case remover takes some time to develop. A friend from my gun club called me and asked if I had a stuck case remover. He came to my house and I removed the .223 case for him. A few weeks later he calls and said "sorry I did it again." Removed that case and he has never stuck another.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2287 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The kit has to be sitting on the reloading bench.

Just coming over and borrowing yours doesn't produce the magic aura back at his bench.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote