THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Once fired Lake City 5.56 brass prep for Ar15???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once fired Lake City 5.56 brass prep for Ar15???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to go now, too many inmates have escaped from the insane asylum and came here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigrdp51:
I have to go now, too many inmates have escaped from the insane asylum and came here.

Being you're insulting, which shows your lack of professional education, I'm finished here. You all can go about your own ways. Consult bigrd51 for ALL your reloading problems. I'm sure all the military branches, reloading die manufacturers, chamber reamer manufacturers, and firearms manufacturers have him aboard as a technical consultant.

Have fun shooting boys!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

bigrdp51, where are you going?

You remind me of a member on the Firing line, he insisted the case had head space and he had a lot of time invested. It so embarrassing for him other members claimed it was them that called SAAMI. He has never did the research, he never found a listing by SAAMI that claimed the case had head space. I have always thought of him as a very vain person.

And then there is 'the small base die' that stuff comes straight out of the claims department.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BoydAllen asked,
F.Guffey,
Do you write this stuff sober?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BoydAllen asked, F.Guffey, Do you write this stuff sober?

Is Boyd Allen claiming the case has head space? I hope he can do better than you with small base dies. And then there is 'bumping' , is he a bumper and does he believe he can move the shoulder back with a full length sizing die with full case body support?

They posted a cartoon illustration claiming the shoulder is moved back when sized; I claim it is impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has full case body support. And sure enough the claims department posted the cartoon.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F. Guffey:

They posted a cartoon illustration claiming the shoulder is moved back when sized; I claim it is impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has full case body support. And sure enough the claims department posted the cartoon.

F. Guffey

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
NO!
Small base dies are for people who don't know how to load ammo. And made just to sell more dies. Only if your rifle chamber is not to spec, would it need special treatment, and why did you buy it if it wasn't made to spec?
Gauge? The rifle chamber is your gauge.
You know how to reload; this is no different.

tu2 tu2 I get my 223/5.56 brass from the local range as in pick up free! About 75% is LC brand, 99.9% is from AST & local law enforcement practice(yup here they still practice/qualify with us commoners) 50% is fired in full auto mode, I have full length sized(Hornady dies),trimmed, loaded & shot THOUSANDS of these in all of my AR's & my 2 sons AR's without the need of a small base die & never an issue? WTF am I doing wrong? dancing coffee tu2

Thank god they are starting to use AR's/LR's in 308 win now that's free too!! tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He makes a claim the pressure ring when sized moves the shoulder back because I said it was impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has case body support.

The case head sits on the deck of the shell holder, when the ram is raised the case is shoved into the die; there has to be something about the pressure ring they do not understand, before the pressure ring is sized it must be shoved into the die. That part is made easier because the manufacturer has placed a radius at the opening of the die. That means? There is nothing magic about sizing the pressure ring.

The only way a reloader can move the shoulder back when sizing is to force the case to collapse inward or crush the case. I am thinking many reloaders should not get into the step sequence of sizing the case or the firing of the case. When I form cases the shoulder I finish with is not the shoulder I started with. I understand it must be a mind boggling thing to understand the original shoulders I start with become part of the shoulder and neck and the new shoulder is formed from the case body.

I have no ideal why it is so difficult for the new reloader to understand moving the shoulder back would cause the case to get thicker, crush or form bellows.

How easy is it to cause the case to crush? Lyman claimed crimping the bullet can be a bad habit. They claimed crimping only required a small amount of pressure, after that the shoulder starts to bulge, the bulge makes it difficult to close the bolt, and most seating dies do not have case body support.

F. Guffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO!Small base dies are for people who don't know how to load ammo.

It would be nice if I had the luxury of disagreeing. I have small base dies, I can not talk about them because you deny they exist or you deny the small base die has a purpose.

You got a late start on reloading and then there were instructions. I have instructions from L.E. Wilson with a printing date of 1952 that covers the Wilson case gage. Life can not be fair because I am the only reloaders that Wilson furnished instructions to.

I have small base dies that are designed for specific chambers and then there are books. Problem with books, again, it is unfair because I have books that list 3 different chambers for one case. Component manufacturers do not manufacturer cases for reloaders like me, if they did I would order cases that fit. Component manufacturers make 'one case fits all chambers'. Not something a reloader can understand but I have chambers that are .016" longer from the datum to the case head than a minimum length size case. I do not walk around like 'Oh, woah is me' I add .014" to the length of the case from the datum to the case head.

fguffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess “most” standard dies make a small base irrelevant. If you have a tight chamber and a loose regular die, buying a small base will resolve the situation.

So will getting a different standard die usually.

As will getting a custom die (which is really what a small base die is- non standard dimensioned FL resizer.

Or you could fix the chamber to meet spec.

Lots of ways to skin the cat.

My view remains unchanged. It’s not necessary, but it can be a solution to a rather uncommon problem.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best part about reloading is the person pulling the press handle decides how to do it.

Chambers and resizing dies vary in size. And my AR15 A2 HBAR has a tighter chamber than my AR15 carbine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess “most” standard dies make a small base irrelevant. If you have a tight chamber and a loose regular die, buying a small base will resolve the situation.

RCBS is a component manufacturer, in the 'definition of terms' in their old green reading book they claim the small base die is a good fitting full length sizing die.

They made small base dies before all reloaders became experts. I have 4+ sets, all of the boxes are identified as being BAR dies (Browning Automatics Rifle)

And then there is measuring the difference between a minimum/full length sizing die and a small base die if the die is not for a belted case.

I have small base dies that do not take me long to look at when determining how small.

F. Guffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Shoulder set back from fire formed position"

How do they do that? In the cartoon they claim the neck got longer and the case body got shorter.

F. Guffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHot highpower for a long time....both M1A and later AR. Nearly 100% of my ammo was once fired military brass I gleaned from my unit's tank qualifications and rifle qualifications. So basically all of it was fired in a machine gun...M240 or M16.

In MY match rifles I never had a reliability issue... I used standard full length RCBS or Forster sizing dies and bumped the bottom of the die with the shellholder until it flexed the press a tiny amount. After resizing the first time I trimmed all cases to min length and checked every one in a WIlson Case gauge. I would prep and load, 1,000 rounds at a time. Shoot and reload them 4 times and throw the cases away. And start thinking about a new barrel at the end of the season rather than waiting for another 1200 rounds into next season and having to do a barrel change/re zero/load workup in the middle of a season. Did this for more than 15 years.

This system worked for me. Reliability was my number one priority. Accuracy #2...as long as I was getting 1 MOA or better with 10 shot strings I was happy with the ammo. Nobody can hold a rifle tighter than that in a HP match...not even David Tubb. His scores are all the proof you need this is true. (The 10 ring in most HP matches at all distances is roughly 2 MOA....The X ring is about 1 MOA) Look it up...he drops points every match...and more than a few! I stand by my statement...

In any case...the case gauge is your friend....in a match rifle...especially a semi-auto reliability is more important than accuracy. You drop 10 points a shot for every round you save...that's impossible to make up if you do it once in a 80 shot match at the expert or master level...forget twice or three times...You are only allowed so many ammunition alibi's....forget what an alibi shot does to your mindset, rhythm and game....The case gauge is your friend. If you end up with regular reliability issues something isn't right. 1 or 2 in a thousand rounds is acceptable however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
SHot highpower for a long time....both M1A and later AR. Nearly 100% of my ammo was once fired military brass I gleaned from my unit's tank qualifications and rifle qualifications. So basically all of it was fired in a machine gun...M240 or M16.

In MY match rifles I never had a reliability issue... I used standard full length RCBS or Forster sizing dies and bumped the bottom of the die with the shellholder until it flexed the press a tiny amount. After resizing the first time I trimmed all cases to min length and checked every one in a WIlson Case gauge. I would prep and load, 1,000 rounds at a time. Shoot and reload them 4 times and throw the cases away. And start thinking about a new barrel at the end of the season rather than waiting for another 1200 rounds into next season and having to do a barrel change/re zero/load workup in the middle of a season. Did this for more than 15 years.

This system worked for me. Reliability was my number one priority. Accuracy #2...as long as I was getting 1 MOA or better with 10 shot strings I was happy with the ammo. Nobody can hold a rifle tighter than that in a HP match...not even David Tubb. His scores are all the proof you need this is true. (The 10 ring in most HP matches at all distances is roughly 2 MOA....The X ring is about 1 MOA) Look it up...he drops points every match...and more than a few! I stand by my statement...

In any case...the case gauge is your friend....in a match rifle...especially a semi-auto reliability is more important than accuracy. You drop 10 points a shot for every round you save...that's impossible to make up if you do it once in a 80 shot match at the expert or master level...forget twice or three times...You are only allowed so many ammunition alibi's....forget what an alibi shot does to your mindset, rhythm and game....The case gauge is your friend. If you end up with regular reliability issues something isn't right. 1 or 2 in a thousand rounds is acceptable however.

I helped a number of shooters on the firing line remove 223 cases fired in one weapon, and then chambered in a match rifle. I carried a cleaning rod in my scope stand, so I was popular when shooters had malfunctions.

I always used small base dies when I could find them. I want clearance between my case and the chamber. And, once fired military cases tend to be huge, and a standard sizing die will not reduce them enough to reliably extract from a match AR15.

I will go with my experiences, but the OP is free to do what he wants. I would say, don't reload all the cases yet. If the OP does not small base die all of them, just load up enough to go to the range and see if his ammunition feeds and extracts. His rifle may have a huge chamber and could swallow machine gun brass.