New
Find
Notify
Tools

35-30 anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone load for 35-30? i need a mild to medium load for a 240 gr cast non gas check slug, without using filler etc. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow that is a heavy bullet for that case. Making sub sonic loads?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Single shot?
Lever gun?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Wow that is a heavy bullet for that case. Making sub sonic loads?

nope. plinkers and whitetails. its actually that 35-30AI i got from Bill in Oregon that i believe you put a williams sight on a few years ago.
bullet was recommended by Ed Harris.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Single shot?
Lever gun?

mod 94 made in 1920 in 32 win REbored for 35-30AI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate 36-240H mold

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes I remember that rifle. I don't recommend a bullet that heavy for it though. First make sure the twist will handle it; most 35s are one in 16.
I would use a 200 grainer. A 240 would be very slow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats quite a diff in weight. other than potential inaccuracy, what problems would the 240 gr cause?

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accurate 36-240H mold

My answer is "no problem" if you cast it at .359 + and use a 12-14 bhn or so alloy. That bullet will do 1900 fps with IMR 3031, H335, TAC, and probably others and will sure kill a deer when you put that flat nose through the shoulder. Even slower will work just as well too. The 35 Remington, essentially what you have, is not a speedster anyway and Cast bullets in it will be terrific if you have a good bore and chamber. Being a custom gun, you will have to find out what kind of throat you have in it and load to suit.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1900 fps is a tad more than i want to push it. rather stick to the 1300 to 1500 range. i have on hand all those powders you mentioned, just need to know a starting place load wise. i've shot it with 200 gr JRN with 32.0 3031 with no problems. i'm past the age where heavy recoil is cool.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
With 3031 I would guess around 31 grains is a 1900 load. Reduce 10% and start there. Same on h335 and TAC. 31/32 is going to be top. Neither one will like very much reduction for good performance. SEARCH THAT out a bit on the net and you’ll find data.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My point is, and reinforced by your comment about recoil, that the 35 Rem made it's reputation on 200 grain bullet and I don't see the need for a 240. And you have already shot the 200s; what was wrong with them, and why do you want to go to 240?
Even if it will stabilize.
Just me though. You do what you think best of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i went with the 240s because i wanted to shoot cast. the 200s were jacketed. i'm not stuck on any particular weight. its in the experimantal stage still. but i do want to switch to cast.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is that the '94 won't handle a cartridge much longer than 2-1/2" and a heavier bullet may protrude into the case below the neck, not good with cast.

At one point I had some heavier cast slugs in .35 cal; if I can find them in the junk pile loading room I will happily send them to you to try.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh for sure a 240 grainer will protrude way below the neck. Again which is why I recommended a 200 but the OP seems determined......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Oh for sure a 240 grainer will protrude way below the neck. Again which is why I recommended a 200 but the OP seems determined......

actually, no. placing the crimp groove on the tip of the neck places the bottom of the bullet at exactly where the neck joins the shoulder, and i have photos with the bullet laying next to the case to prove it. COAL is then 2 5/8". so, the bullet could be seated a tad deeper with no problem if need be. i'l be glad to text/email a pic you doubt it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
Another thing to consider is that the '94 won't handle a cartridge much longer than 2-1/2" and a heavier bullet may protrude into the case below the neck, not good with cast.

At one point I had some heavier cast slugs in .35 cal; if I can find them in the junk pile loading room I will happily send them to you to try.

sure. thanks. pm sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just loaded 15 rds over 9.0 titegroup. seated just a hair past crimp groove. they loaded into magazine (4) and chambered like budda.
i was sent with the rifle a set of forming dies and a set of lee 35 rem dies, and a few loaded rds. thank you Bill from Oregon! i shot 3 of em, (230 gr fp gc cast over 33.5 H4895) according to the note included. they were hot. to me. when i examined the ejected brass i realized it wasn't a 35-30. anyway, will try the ones i loaded soon. i hope!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course I believe you; it must be a very blunt nosed bullet; I was envisioning a longer, more tapered one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
its flatter than a skinny white girls ass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
btw that 1972 marlin 45-70 is still a virgin

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Whenever I get ice cream I always hope the fat girl serves me; they always give you the same amount they would want. Skinny girls will cheat you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
update.....the titegroup loads turned the gun into a 35-30 shotgun. so i loaded 25.0 and 27.0 gr of imr 3031 w/the 240 gr cast.
27.0 gr loads were not quite as accurate as the 25.0 gr loads. after getting the windage and elevation adjusted the 25.0 loads shot a 2.5" 3 shot group off a sand bag at 57 yds. so i ran the site up 3 clicks and HAMMERED the 18" gong at 127 yds. its not one a those commercial 3/8" hardened plates but is not bad and has withstood many hundreds of pistol and rifle rds so far. its hanging off a horizontal 2x4 with 2 nails to hang the heavy chains on. first shot flipped it so high it almost made a complete loop. second shot made it spin. 3rd shot made it flip completely up and over and onto the ground. the 3 shots formed a sloppy centered triangle and each shot put a big dent in it. hung it back up and from the side it looks line all wavey now. no wonder they used these things for bear etc. issues:
1. with heavier loads the lever tended to try to come unlocked. the lighter load not so much
2. using already fireformed brass it feeds great. using starline 30-30 brass with necks expanded to 35 but not fireformed when pumping a new rd from the magazine into the chamber they try to exit the top of the action hard instead of feeding like the fireformed to 35-30 AI brass does. really not an issue i guess as i just load em straight into the chamber

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Terrific! Going to try the TAC?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't think so at this point. no need, unless i run outta 3031. why? you think i could get results with that too?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sounds awesome.
I liked that Marlin 45-70. If you feel the urge to shoot one, get a newer one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i got others i shoot. that ones wired shut and in a safe

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
John,
No doubt TAC would work but I was just curious on your plans. When you run out of 3031 give it a try!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i will, thanks. have used it successfully on several other calibers. meters great.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A problem finding 3031? Same as the current primer shortage? Oh well, along with the current crisis + riots in the streets, we have an election year. Where am I going + what am I doing in this handbasket?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no, i have plenty