THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is cheap bulk WC844 still a available anywhere?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is cheap bulk WC844 still a available anywhere? I’ve read that it is H335 by another name.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bartlett used to carry it over at gibrass.com , but it appears he is out right now.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig48:
Pat's Reloading:

http://www.patsreloading.com/p...aspx?category=Powder

Thanks for the link! That’s not exactly cheap, but nothing is right now.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
doubt you''ll find it cheaper.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's slightly faster than h335 -- at least my experience over time -- start conservatively!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
it's slightly faster than h335 -- at least my experience over time -- start conservatively!

Mine too

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
by the by, i have settled on h335 and what's left of 844, as my default powders.. i've loaded everything from 30 mauser, 233, through 550 magnum with it ... it's not perfect, but it worked since the obama years

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From some of my dealing with the military powder contractors 844, H335, and WW748 were all in the same family. It was said at that time that WW748 was the cleaner burning one and that H335 wasn't as good as the 748. Now we know that WW powders are gone and H335 and 748 are supposed to be one in the same. I've used a lot of 844 in the past and really liked it. I've used 748 and like it too. I believe that one could use 846 too. When I talked to General Dynamics about Winchester powder, which now has been quite a few years ago, they told me at that time Winchester hasn't been making their powder for 7 years. I feel the powder industry is pretty screwed up anymore.

Remember TCCI? I loaded a lot of 223 with their powder which was 2208. I have load data for that yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
From some of my dealing with the military powder contractors 844, H335, and WW748 were all in the same family. It was said at that time that WW748 was the cleaner burning one and that H335 wasn't as good as the 748. Now we know that WW powders are gone and H335 and 748 are supposed to be one in the same. I've used a lot of 844 in the past and really liked it. I've used 748 and like it too. I believe that one could use 846 too. When I talked to General Dynamics about Winchester powder, which now has been quite a few years ago, they told me at that time Winchester hasn't been making their powder for 7 years. I feel the powder industry is pretty screwed up anymore.

Remember TCCI? I loaded a lot of 223 with their powder which was 2208. I have load data for that yet.

I’ve read somewhere that Wc846 is the same as BL-C2. As far as the powder industry being screwed up, it’s at least quite different than the old days, for sure. In some ways we are in a golden age of reloading powders and components. Better bullets, powders, primers, cases etc, etc. Prices may be higher, but everything seems to be light years better in terms of quality, diversity of products, and availability (pandemics and election seasons Excepted.)

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if 846 is the "same" as BLC2 or if 844 is the same as H335. But I have successfully used BLC2 and H335 load data for both milsurp powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

I’ve read somewhere that Wc846 is the same as BL-C2. As far as the powder industry being screwed up, it’s at least quite different than the old days, for sure. In some ways we are in a golden age of reloading powders and components. Better bullets, powders, primers, cases etc, etc. Prices may be higher, but everything seems to be light years better in terms of quality, diversity of products, and availability (pandemics and election seasons Excepted.)

What I meant about screwed up quite a few places around the world are making powder. Back in the olden days most all our powders were made in the stats. I do remember using Alcan powder for my shotgun.

Yes powder has changed composition some. I talked to a powder tech at Hornady one day couple years ago. It was about the loads in an old Hornady manual. He said throw that manual away it's out dated and the loads are dangerous with todays powders that are listed in that manual. I asked how so. Basically what he said is the new powders are more efficient. That's sounds to me that you wouldn't use the same amount that was listed from the old manual. You look back at some of the old manuals from any company and then looks at the modern loads today and almost all the old load data is much much hotter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when they came out with 844 it was the parent of 748 and H335. I wouldn't expect it to be the same as powders aren't the same from lot to lot.

Some of those 800 series I believe may have been powder for tracer loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Description
16 lbs of WC-846 smokeless double-base rifle powder packaged in two 8 lb UN 4G Rated Hazmat Jugs within a re-usable shipper kit. The jugs as shown are fully individually labeled for easy re-sale on store shelves. This military grade smokeless powder is a ball-style powder manufactured by Saint Marks (General Dynamics) for the US Army. It was pulled down in 2018 for the Fort Smith Arms and Ammunition Plant (FSAAP) at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant by certified Lake City & ATK Engineers. It has been certified for re-use, pressure, burn rate, accuracy, and unique lot numbers by both entities under ISO: 9001 standards before packaging for re-sale.

This is excellent powder for use with: .223 Rem., 5.56×45 NATO, .308 Win, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington, and many other calibers.

It loads very similarly to Hodgdon BL-C2 powder.