New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 Loading data
 Login/Join

<Roundbutt>
posted
I would like a load for a 8x57 using 185 grain PSP Remington bullets. I am long on H335 and BLC-2 Powders so I would like to use them. The ammo will be used for plinking and Hunting With my Military 98 Mausers. It does not have to be hot.
Thank You
Steve

<Scott H>
posted
Try 42.0 grains H335 or BLC-2 with OAL. 3.10" You should have room to work up from there. QuickLoad predicts the loads could be hotter, but Hogdon's online manual stops at 46 and 45 grains with a 170 Speer. I would err on the safe side to start.

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 04-16-2001).]

<'Trapper'>
posted
I have fired off a lot of rounds in 8X57 when making brass from 30-06 cases using 192gr cast bullet, cast from straight wheel weights and with a gas check. I pushed these with 40grs of Ball-C and at first just fired them off to fireform the brass I was preparing to load. Then I was out with a friend that wanted to shoot one of my Mauser's and do some target practice with it and we found that even though these were only fireform loads they shot very well indeed.
Since that time I have tried this same load various times as a 'plinking' load in the 8X57 and have been pleased as it shoots well, does not have a lot of recoil and is not hard on the brass - and best of all, it is very cheap to load and shoot.
Give it a try and see what you think. I also would think the load listed in the post above would work very well for you and would be pleasant to shoot.
Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!
Best regards,

------------------
'Trapper'