New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd looking range pick ups
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like someone makes/has an odd AK out there.

I picked these up while cleaning up our pistol area last summer and finally got around to sorting out my range brass collection.

The inside of the necks look like the outside- its a chamber issue. The brass is fiocchi, so decent stuff. Looks like something made for fire forming...

I presume it will go back to normal with a FL resize, but with how cheap 7.62x39 is, I don't really bother...

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or maybe there was an "issue" in the firearm's mfg's quality control department ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it shoot? Did it feed from the magazine? Did it blow up? Another quality Kalashnikov

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like it went bang at least five times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonder if they were blanks of some sort.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thin part mikes out where it should for neck diameter.

It isn't my gun- I found the brass at our shooting range.

It's in effect a chamber cast. Obviously, they fired off, and I found 5 so it may well have functioned normally.

I thought they did QC steps on these things... never heard of a 2 step neck chambering.

No reports of any injuries at the range this summer, so I dunno, it went bang and left the empties in the dirt...

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saiga AK... l've seen that brass on Warcop Ranges before.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they opened up the neck portion of the chamber with a 3/8" Craftsman drill bit Big Grin Helps smooth out feeding, you know.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is standard on all civilian Ishmash rifles (e.g. Saiga). Supposedly so one can tell whether brass was fired in a civilian or a military rifle.

This feature has no impact whatsoever on the performance of the rifle with factory ammunition. I assume case life for reloading has never been a central criterion in the design of these guns...

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JV:
This is standard on all civilian Ishmash rifles (e.g. Saiga). Supposedly so one can tell whether brass was fired in a civilian or a military rifle.

This feature has no impact whatsoever on the performance of the rifle with factory ammunition. I assume case life for reloading has never been a central criterion in the design of these guns...

Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else think the action
opened before the pressure had
let off?

I've found auto brass like that
from various pistols.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On 7.62x39 cases from an AK type rifle, that step definitively comes from a chamber deliberately cut that way. It has nothing to do with the timing of the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russian gun control, and forensic. Probably the only way gun control works, ie., get caught committing a crime with it and....

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sidewall of the case is straight and a false shoulder has been created as if to form to a different chamber. Looks like the sidewall formed but the shoulder didn't push forward.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 824 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
crbutler . . . . .

It appears those are fired cases. If so, fired cases ALWAYS match the ID of the chamber perfectly. Therefore, I'd say that they were fired in somebody's custom chamber that looks just like those fired cases.

This would require cutting a new chamber (and probably not in an AK-47). The reason for this, is to provide a better bullet alignment for better accuracy. The reamer was probably modified by someone looking for an affordable accuracy gain.

Those cases appear to be perfectly reloadable.

Posts: 30 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, this is not a custom chamber and has nothing to do with accuracy. It is a standard feature on many civilian Russian AK47 or AKM type rifles.

Cases from my own Saiga AKM-type rifle look exactly like that.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
7.72X39 fired in a VZ-52?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saiga chamber eh? Learn something every day.
Only Saiga I ever had was a .308 and that was just briefly. Seems that chamber was "normal."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote