New
Find
Notify
Tools

compressed loads???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So how compressed is too compressed? Does a compress load create more pressure?
Slow burning powders obviously fill cases up farther, then you seat a long bullet.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run compressed loads in pretty much every high performance load I shoot (223, 22-250, 243, 25-06, 270, 30-06) with no problems.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You will find out that your compressed load is too compressed when it bulges the case!

Otherwise it is just fine.

I have made a 3 foot drop tube, and even with tat in some cases, the powder is almost over flowing the case mouth.

No problems at all.

The question is why go to this extent for normal hunting loads?

We do it experimenting.

We have purposely blown rifles up with excessive loads.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66879 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that several of my hunting loads, near max or max, are compressed when a long bullet is seated off the lands .03-.05. The barrels just have shallow/short chambers. I have a m70 270 that seats Sierra pro hunters (not a long bullet) to 3.125", that is just off the rifling. A max load of 55grs of Imr 4350 is compressed. No excessive pressure, accuracy is superb.
But, the flip side is a max load of Reloader 22 is really compressed, flat out crunched.
I just want to make sure I'm safe.

Thanks for the replies and the real word experiences!

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your loading a case that is too small for the type of powder your loading,you can never get enough powder in the case to reach max pressure or velocity.The compressed load can be perfectly safe to shoot,but you can use a powder that is faster burning and achieve a higher velocity and maybe a little higher pressure with less case fill.Just remember,all powders are not equal and you cannot determine pressure or velocity simply by case fill.Study the burn rate charts and use powders that are recommended for the cartridge and bullet weights.When your load is too compressed,the bullet will actually back out after you seat the bullet.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course what they said, and another factor; compressed powder can push your bullet back out. I have seen it.
Also, compressed black powder loads is routine. It easily compresses to gain 20% or more case capacity.
But you are probably talking about smokeless.
Depends on the burn rate.

Posts: 17080 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
So how compressed is too compressed?

When the COAL grows a little overnight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
easily avoided with more neck tension... LOL

yeah rl-22 with a 165 in the 30-06 will be compressed.
you just gotta work the bullet in slowly and work the powder up around the bullet the best you can.
it'll fit, your just not gonna get anymore in there,,, well, not until you fire form the case anyway.

Posts: 4965 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to stick powders, 4350,4831,Varget, etc., I have never had a problem with heavily compressed loads. But I have had some problems with compressed ball powders. One was with H322(? it has been a while) in a .222 Rem. I found a box of ammo that had been forgotten on the back shelf for 5-7 years, a load I had used for many years. 1st shot I get hard bolt lift, WTF?, 2nd shot primer falls out so I quit and go home. I pulled a bullet and tried to shake out the powder to weigh it only it wouldn't fall out of the case. I bang the case a couple of times and the powder comes out in chunks, the grains fused together into large clumps. Fast forward and I had a similar situation with Win. 760, a go-to load for quite a long time. Ammo was about 10 years old, 1st shot and I got hard extraction so I pulled a bullet and again the powder grains had all stuck together. So now I am very careful with ball powders.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I too have had h414 compressed loads turn into solids. Took 10 years but true. When fresh that load was very very good.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any rifle load using H570 or the modern replacement H870 will be a compressed load. And I have had the most consistent velocities using compressed loads resulting in excellent accuracy too.
A compressed load of bullseye is not going to be a good thing though Wink

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of get a drop tube. You'll be very impressed how much more powder you can get in a cartridge case if you slowly pour the powder in the drop tube rather than directly in the case with a funnel. I used to use IMR 4350 in the 375 H&H. 81 grains will fit below a 300 SAF with OACL of 3.58".
You literally will feel and hear the powder crunch when seating the bullet. Book max is more like 76 grains which ordinarily will fill the case. With any kind of stick powders I've had no issues in 40+ years of reloading for quite an array of different BG calibers.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12852 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info!!!

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
So how compressed is too compressed? Does a compress load create more pressure?
Slow burning powders obviously fill cases up farther, then you seat a long bullet.

Perry

When the case bulges or the bullet is pushed forward.

Handgun ammo is different compressed loads can cause extreme pressures.

Posts: 19340 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
First of get a drop tube.

Mark Young said "First of get a drop tube."

Good advice. My mentor recommended the 24 inch tube from Buffalo Arms and it works for me:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/re...p-tubes-funnels.html

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, use a drop tube. The longer the better and pour the powder s-l-o-w-l-y; if it takes you less than 10 seconds per charge, you're doing it wrong. In loading for a 416 Remington (notoriously compressed powder charges), this has served me well. The loads are lightly compressed when finished, but demonstrate no pressure signs and deliver excellent ballistics.

I've never done it, but I know some others have taken the charged cases and held them against a running case tumbler to settle the powder further.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote