THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need advice on powder for 308 win and 110 V-Max.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on powder for 308 win and 110 V-Max.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Win Model 70 Classic compact, 20” barrel. I have a fair amount of CFE223, Tac, RL15, and Varget. I have about half a pound each of H4895, H4198, and Benchmark. Any experience and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your bullet weight ad barrel length. 20" barrel and 1:10 or 1:12 twist barrel. 42.to 45. grains of H4985 with a 120-150 grain bullet. Varget and Reloader 15 have about the same burn rates. IMR 4064 is another good 308 powder. TAC is a powder that I have not tried. IMR 4350 and H4831sc are to slow.

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
Depending on your bullet weight ad barrel length. 20" barrel and 1:10 or 1:12 twist barrel. 42.to 45. grains of H4985 with a 120-150 grain bullet. Varget and Reloader 15 have about the same burn rates. IMR 4064 is another good 308 powder. TAC is a powder that I have not tried. IMR 4350 and H4831sc are to slow.

Thank you for your comments. However, I am specifically after info about loading the 110 grain Hornady V-Max bullet, and I only have the powders that I mentioned.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget, H414, BalC-2. H380 is what I use in my 308 with about any bullet,Ive used 110 gr. bullets but don't belive I used the V-max..but most 308s Ive used performed better with 125 gr. bullets, thats what I use for rockchucks and on ocassion the girls have used them for whitetail with great success..The 308 is about as forgiving on powder and bullets as any caliber Ive used..This is in a .308 Ruger 77..

I have been using CFE-223 a good deal, its a great powder and does what it claims..The more Ive used it the better I like it...but have not used it in the .308 with 110 gr. bullets as yet but I bet it will work..As the bullet weight gets heavier I use mostly 748 in a Sav. mod. 99 in 308..It seems to get highest velocity at lowerpressure that suits the 99..I might give it a try with 110 gr. bullets..

If you took a wide survey of American shooters of the .308 Im sure VArget would win by a land slide..and it is a dandy powder.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm.... Having just run a few numbers, my money would be Varget if that's what you have.
TBH they're all a bit slow for that bullet and a 20" barrel, something with a burn rate nearer V V-N130 (which l use and get 3100ft/sec with 100% burn and no pressure) would be better, however....

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about your bullet. But I do know about your gun as I have had one for many years. I am sure you would agree they are really a nice little gun to carry.

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I don't know anything about your bullet. But I do know about your gun as I have had one for many years. I am sure you would agree they are really a nice little gun to carry.

This one is both new to me and Unfired (I’ve had it for a year and a half without doing anything with it.) I’ve wanted one for a very long time though.

Yesterday, I loaded up some 165gr accubond test loads with Tac, Varget, and RL15 (Win brass, Fed 210M primers, all three powders laced with Tubbdust, as I hate copper fouling and it makes cleaning during break-in and any time quicker.). I also loaded up some of the 110 V-Max bullets with moderate charges of Tac. I’m not doing any serious load development yet, just breaking in the barrel (with the v-max) and looking for accuracy Nodes around popular hunting loads with the 165gr accubonds.

On a side note, my 308 brass and bullet supply is pretty skimpy right now. I loaded the V-Max in Hunting Shack brass that is extremely thick and heavy. It averages about 184 grains in weight, whereas the Win brass averaged 155 grains. In my experience WW brass is about the lightest and thinnest brass around for any given caliber, but this Hunting shack brass is unbelievably thick and heavy. I’m approaching loads with it very cautiously.

It’s pretty muddy around here today, but I might head to the grasslands to shoot this afternoon. I’ll report my results.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plain old 3031 works very well with bullets up to 150 grs.You may want to consider it

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use RL-15 aka Norma 203B. It is my go to powder for my 308 Win and 150 grain bullets. Norma 203B is very consistent and provides uniform velocities and accuracy out of my M 03 Mauser and 404 Sauer.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Plain old 3031 works very well with bullets up to 150 grs.You may want to consider it

I would consider it, but all powders are scarce right now, and I ain’t paying gouger prices. I understand free market economics and the laws of supply and demand. However, much of this shortage is purely due psycho hoarders and gougers, plain and simple. I understand the fear aspect, and I feel some of it too, but this has been way beyond ridiculous for a while now.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
CM

In process of cleaning out workshop where a lot of different things are stored and heard the jingle of hand fulls of .38 and .308brass. It seems that the mice have ruined the cardboard boxes where I stored the brass when I quit reloading my .357 and .308.
When I saw that Hornady Lightmagnum was better than my .308 loads, I stopped loading and went hunting and never looked back.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
CM

In process of cleaning out workshop where a lot of different things are stored and heard the jingle of hand fulls of .38 and .308brass. It seems that the mice have ruined the cardboard boxes where I stored the brass when I quit reloading my .357 and .308.
When I saw that Hornady Lightmagnum was better than my .308 loads, I stopped loading and went hunting and never looked back.

I love reloading. Besides that, it rained cats and dogs on Sunday, and I had not much else better to do. With rounds like the 308, it’s typically not difficult to at least equal factory load performance. My last rem 700 ADL went under a 1/2” 5 shot groups with 165gr BT’s and Varget. That is not at all unusual. Even for a dimwit like me. The 308 truly is an inherently accurate round.

Matt
FISH!!