THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR-4831 versus H4831 in double 450-400?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone tested the difference in these powders in a double rifle? I understand IMR-4831 is the "go to" powder, recommended by some real experts on the site and AH.

I'm just slumming with a Sabatti 450/400 (clean and correct muzzles) and am just wondering, with a slight powder charge change if H4831 can be made to regulate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably, not much difference, let the gun tell you which it likes, not us!! Wink

I actually prefer RL-15, in that it recoils noticeable less at the same velocity but again with doubles you need to listen!!! they speak in all languages..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My Krieghoff 450-400 will not shoot any form of 4831; way too slow; it flings the bullets 6 inches apart. Have to use 4350 and the shots come together within 1.5 inches.
I don't mean slow velocity; DRs regulate not only by velocity, but how the bullets get there, and how much recoil is in the equation. Like witchcraft; no formulas for it. Muzzle flip and jump is super important.
No one can tell you what will regulate in your rifle; you must shoot it to find out.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use Norma 203B. It is RL-15. Or should I say Norma sells 203B to Allaint and they repackage it as RL-15. It is my go to powder for several rifles. Consistent, reduced felt recoil. 203B has less variation from batch to batch.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bingo Rusty, spot on!! but its been discontinued, so better buy whats left up pronto..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My doubles shot extremely well with either of the 4831, a Searcy 470 and a couple of 450-400s an Army Navy and a Jeffries..got best velocity and best accuracy..Butch won Nationals with my 470 and a stiff load of IMR-4831..shooting there was bench rest groups.that gun shot for me at one inch on average with 4 shots..for butch it shot even better, but he is recoil proof..Its a matter of record btw..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120