Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet choices
 Login/Join

posted
I’m going on a Aoudad hunt in west Texas in a little over a year, and plan on using my Ruger #1 in 7mm RM. I have been told that the average shot will be 350 yards. My initial thought was to use a 160 gr Nosler Partition ,but after some thought, I’m believe there might be better choices for this hunt. Do I just go to an Accubond? Maybe change bullet weight? I’ve never used Sierra bullets, but know they have a very good reputation. Should I experiment with them, or maybe a Speer or Hornady bullet? I have a lot of choices, and was wondering what others would use. Thx for the advice.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would use a cartridge starting with at least the number 33.

Posts: 17011 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A “Partition” is a good place to start! Anything from that point, should lead you to a premium bullet.....likely a “mono”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We normally a 243 Winchester for Audad sheep! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66684 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look at quality bullets with higher than normal BC but with good velocity (trade-offs, you know).

I'd look long and hard at the Accubond if your shots might get over 400 but up to that range, most anything out of an 7 MM Rem Mag will do.

I just used a 6.5 X 280 AI last month on Aoudad. I used a Berger 140 Elite Hunter. Great for that size critter but I won't use them on elk-size stuff. Too explosive for my taste.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the 130 grain Barnes TSX in my 7mm Mag.
It lets me get the higher velocity because of the lighter bullet but has similar sectional density to the 150-160 grain cup and core bullets.

I have yet to recover one from deer or antelope at 100 to 400+ yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. How do the Accubond’s compare to the Partitions as far as terminal performance goes? I’d like to find that “go to” bullet for my 7mm, and from things I hear, the Accubond could be that bullet. Opinions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a few slides with a 7rem mag out to over 500 yards. I use Berger 168 vlds. They work quite well.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gsjcky, The Accubond is know for shedding nearly half it's mass in unproductive tiny pieces early in its penetration. Most folks really like it for the average NA game. It would be my last choice.
Good suggestions above. I would look at Barns TTSX (barrel friendly) and Swift Sirocco too. I have never killed anything with either one of them but hear good things about them.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Gsjcky, The Accubond is know for shedding nearly half it's mass in unproductive tiny pieces early in its penetration. Most folks really like it for the average NA game. It would be my last choice.
Good suggestions above. I would look at Barns TTSX (barrel friendly) and Swift Sirocco too. I have never killed anything with either one of them but hear good things about them.

Brian has shown previously that he has no clue what he's talking about with regards to Accubond bullets. I've killed over 100 aoudad sheep here in TX, primarily culling unwanted animals from places where the ranchers hate the darn things. I've killed probably 80% + of them with 7mm Rem Mag and 160 accubond/partition, as well as the 7mm08 with 140 accubond, 140 partition. These bullets are killing machines when put in the right place, and they will likely retain 60% or so of their weight, EXACTLY as designed by Nosler. I can find very little difference in killing power between the accubond and partition, personally. I've also killed over 50 head of African with the 7mm 160 accubond, up through wildebeest and zebra sized game, and they perform great there as well. Anyone who says differently has likely not used them, or shot very few animals with them.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I killed my aoudad with a 168 grain TSX bullet from my .300 Weatherby. It was basically a 100 yard bang-flop shot.

For the past 15 or so years my go to bullets in my 7 mm RM were the 160 grain Accubonds. They have worked very well for me for elk, caribou, musk ox, and a variety of African plains game.

As a handloader, I'm always wanting to try something different. So for my upcoming Newfoundland moose and caribou hunt in September I started trying 160 grain Barnes TSX bullets in my 7 mm RM.

So far seven of the ten 3-shot groups have shot moa or better, with eight of nine shots from three groups all printing in a 3/4" circle. Not too bad for a Rem 700 sporter from a pawn shop. Big Grin

As for the OP's other question "How do the Accubonds compare to the Partitions as far as terminal performance goes?"

For 20 some years my go to bullet in my .30 Gibbs was the 180 grain Partition at 2920 fps. During that period I shot 21 elk, 2 Shiras moose, 2 Alaskan caribou, and a mountain goat with that rifle and those bullets. All of the Partitions that I recovered had opened up back to the partition and had shed the lead in the front half of the bullets. Just about all of those bullets were found just under the hide on the off side of the animals. Partitions work!

I don't remember specifically recovering any Accubond bullets, but on one South African hunt my PH was continually impressed with the large wound cavities that my 7 mm 160 grain Accubond bullets made in animals like red hartebeest and black wildebeest.

In my experience, both Partition and Accubond bullets have worked very well on the game animals that I've shot with them. Pick the one that shoots best in your rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1630 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True,what works best in your rifle. I love the 7x57 calibre+ have had some that did great with a 160 G. While others only performed well w/ a 175 G.I am also very enamoured with the Hornady Interloc 160 G. in 6.5 that I use in my M 1903 M/S.I don't think that you need to go to the extremes of a .33 cal. bullet.Reread everything that Jack O'Conner's wife did with a 7x57.(Let us NOT talk about the .270 here.)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My biggest DooDad was taken with a 6.5 shooting a Hdy I Lock 140 gr bullet at about 2750 fps. DRT. Taken a bunch with 308 165 gr Sierra HP and 246 WM and 130 gr Acubond. DooDad and not bullet proof and a 243 shot well works well.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accubond bullets are possibly the most popular bullet in the USA. So what?

They are still an out dated, cup and core, shred to shit bullet. (designed that way.) There are better choices on the market. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mono,bonded,cup and core shredder..who cares. shoot what shoots best out of the rifle. its an aoudad. put er in the boiler room. Guess what? dead animal

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an expert here, but I did arrow one last October (not high fence). For sure they are a stout heavy boned animal, but not armor plated.
If I were shooting my 7mag at Aoudad, I’d use a deep penetrating bullet that was accurate in my rifle, and it would be 140-168 grains.
Good luck on your hunt.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kurtbe, Actually, I agree with you completely.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of aoudads with different calibers and so have my friends.

Pictures, not armchair BS

Shot placement is #1 factory on this animal versus any other animal.

The quickest kill was a 120 gr Sierra ProHunter @2,650 fps from my daughters 7mm-08 at 135 yards. Jumped,fell over dead.

I've shot them with 308 Winchesters, 300 Ultra Mags, and 375 H&Hs.

Longest shot was 330 yards with a 165 gr Aframe from a 308 Winchester. Went through both shoulder and heart - ran 40 yards and fell over.

The 375 H&H blew the heart out of one from 125 yards and it ran 100 yards into the deepest,steepest rock canyon it could find.

For 300+ yards, I would use:
- 257 WBY
- Any fast 6.5 mm (264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler, 6.5x68, 6.5-300 WBY) No f'in creedmor
- Any 270 with 150 gr or more
- Any fast 7mm; minimum 140 gr at 3K fps
- Any 30-06,308, or 300 Win Mag

I'd stick with TOUGH bullets.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin, Lots of good info there. Thanks. Those Aoudads seem to be a little tougher than I figured. I have never killed one.

I now just hunt cape buffalo, but my boys and grandson hunt plains game and deer. I load for them.
I tell my grandson and any newcomer that asks, almost any bullet will put an animal on the ground. Use the one that does it the best.

Shot placement, expansion, penetration, retained weight.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've shot everything for itty bitty hogs and squirrels to elephant and cape buffalo.

In my experience, aoudad are the toughest animal pound for pound and have some of the best eye sight.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin, Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I've shot everything for itty bitty hogs and squirrels to elephant and cape buffalo.

In my experience, aoudad are the toughest animal pound for pound and have some of the best eye sight.

Interesting assessment. I heard the same thing about how tough African plains game is. Of the 100 or so that I've killed, along with my son and nephew, I've found them to be very typical of the bigger African antelope species......you put a good bullet in the right place and they will die relatively quickly. I've seen them run off 300 yds with a bullet from a 300 Weatherby, and I've seen my son kill them dead with a 140 accubond from his 7-08. They won't react exactly the same way every single solitary time to a bullet impact, but good placement puts them down for good.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
you put a good bullet in the right place and they will die relatively quickly. I've seen them run off 300 yds with a bullet from a 300 Weatherby, and I've seen my son kill them dead with a 140 accubond from his 7-08. They won't react exactly the same way every single solitary time to a bullet impact, but good placement puts them down for good.

Well said and applicable to several species of game reportedly "hard to kill", Elk come to mind when you said "won't react the same every time".
Good shooting kills game every time.
What some people think is good shooting leaves me baffled at times.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote