New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloaders manual
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning. My Dad taught me to reload using an old paperback book with a picture of an older fellow in his reloading room on the cover. I think that it was called the reloaders bible. Anyway I loaned it to a friend and haven't seen it for some time. Most reloading books have a pretty basic reloading section included. I have been sick for a couple of weeks now so have been reading this reloading section quite a bit. I am beginning to think that I need to re read some "how to" loading books beyond just the basics. I am also beginning to think that I don't know as much about reloading as I think. I would appreciate the names and suggestions for more current and complete/technical manuals that you have found helpful. Thank you very much. Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 10th is good, as is Lyman 50th.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My first choice is the Sierra Manual.
Very informative from basics to highly technical.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
every manual has a basic how to section that goes over the finer points of what to do.

the techniques of case manipulation are the things they don't cover.
I have never seen a reloading book discuss annealing, neck turning, setting head space, or basic case reforming.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar
These are the things that I am talking about. I know nothing about annealing and such. How do I find out about this stuff?
Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You can learn a lot by hanging around here and a few other sites although anything you see on the web needs to be taken with a grain of salt as not everyone is an expert in all things.
If you can find someone locally that has experience it can be a big help. If you stop by any local shooting range and ask around you can probably find someone who would be willing to show you some techniques. I will say I reloaded for years before I ever bothered to do any annealing.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
Good morning. My Dad taught me to reload using an old paperback book with a picture of an older fellow in his reloading room on the cover. I think that it was called the reloaders bible. Anyway I loaned it to a friend and haven't seen it for some time. Most reloading books have a pretty basic reloading section included. I have been sick for a couple of weeks now so have been reading this reloading section quite a bit. I am beginning to think that I need to re read some "how to" loading books beyond just the basics. I am also beginning to think that I don't know as much about reloading as I think. I would appreciate the names and suggestions for more current and complete/technical manuals that you have found helpful. Thank you very much. Gary

Get one of the Lyman Manuals #47, 48 or 49 tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Learn the basics and reload a few hundred rounds before you worry about the esoteric details of reloading. Most reloaders don't need them. For example, I reload for 50 different cartridges and I rarely anneal. It depends on what you are doing and what you are doing it for, and how many. IE. Get any of the big name manuals and read the lessons.
Be careful on the internet; half of it is nonsense. Not on AR though; only about 20% is.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have played with annealing for years, and have a reloading machine that a fine gentleman on AR gave me. Thanks Norm aka R----

Over the years at the advise of some old timers who really got into annealing out of necessity many moons past, I found out that I can hold a case by my fingers until its too hot to hold then drop it of course and it worked..basically what I do with my machine..I was told and discovered that you can't get a case too hot, so whats the big deal, This should upset the shit out of our expertise, but try it then get upset...Ive played with all the old wives tales and advise..Its slow but paint a portion with that shelleck when the color turns turn it loose and that works well, and will teach you the feel...The only good thing about annealing is with cases impossible to get and annealing will make them last a lifetime, especially if you anneal them at every loading..In 99% of the cases your better off to dump the old splitting cases and buy a couple of 100 whatever, I mean you can buy 30-06, 308, etc. for 55.00 per hundred and they will last 10 loading as a rule, if you keep them trimmed...I probably need to make a get away now!! I may have just raped the golden goose! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote