New
Find
Notify
Tools

memory reloading and data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
was stuffing 308 cases and dutifully recording data as has changed as am out of REL15 and switched to 748. was remembering back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth in the early 70s thru the 80s i could spew accurately the powder charges for the 5 or 6 calibers i was loading. velocity etc etc. now i can't remember when wee willy was last let out to play! anyway, i am loading 44.0 grs of WW748 w/a 168 gr HPBT. was thinking would be great if it was 74.8 grs of 748. i could remember that one. maybe! wonder if something like thats ever occurred before.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely you have heard of how H380 was named .

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I can relate, Im out of Rlr 15 too. Any more I go with this new method, it's called "writing down my loads". Big Grin

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:

have not, no.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I can relate, Im out of Rlr 15 too. Any more I go with this new method, it's called "writing down my loads". Big Grin

and then remembering where i left the spiral binder the last time i used it.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

and then remembering where i left the spiral binder the last time i used it.

Yes, I need to work on that issue too.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does not get any better as the years go by either!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:

have not, no.

https://hodgdon.com/h380/#:~:t...0the%20powder%20H380.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I keep a large ledger in the loading room + write down EVERYTHING. I load for too many calibers to try to remember it all, + you're right, memory doesn't improve with age.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I keep a large ledger in the loading room + write down EVERYTHING. I load for too many calibers to try to remember it all, + you're right, memory doesn't improve with age.

True.

But, if you are really scared of this, get only one powder.

H5010

Fill every case with it, load any bullet, and you will still be safe! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not scared at all. just adapting.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I love people who reload from memory; they bring me work.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I love people who reload from memory; they bring me work.

Interesting.

Any stories of blown up guns?

The reason I ask is we actually tried, purposely, to blow some rifles.

The original idea came when someone suggested we blow an AK47, as I had a bunch of them.

After a bit of thought, I was not sure that we could without doing something stupid like locking the barrel.

The case is too small I thought.

Then - funny how a train of thought goes sometimes.

I thought we might try 3 different rifles, with roughly the same case capacity, but of different calibers.

We ended up with a Parker Hale in 243 Winchester, a BRNO 505 in 308 Winchester and an Enfield 303.

The fastest powder we had was - I think - HP38.

We filled the cases and loaded bullets.

We tied the rifles to a wooden frame 50 yards in the tunnel.

Set cameras, and pulled the trigger with fishing line.

The Parker Hale went to pieces.

The Brno jammed the bolt, and we hammered it open.

The 303 was the least affected.

We took the barrel of the Brno, and re-chambered it fir the 300 Winchester Magnum.

Opened the bolt face to fit.

I know, some of you are scratching your heads by now at these nuts! sofa

We fired the Brno.

The action held.

The stock broke around the magazine, and we had to hammer the bolt open??!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't mean blown up as like a grenade. Just idiots that use pistol powder and damage actions. One guy ruined two Rem 700s in one minute; melted the case heads and broke one handle off. I removed both barrels; bolt heads were swelled up. Receivers probably could have been reused, but we didn't. He didn't even know what happened; just he couldn't open the bolts.
A friend has ruined two Mausers he just loads until the cases rupture and blows the extractor and floor plate off.
Another guy has blown up at least 3 ruger revolvers.
We don't have any real AK47s here......

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use the labels that come with RCBS die sets. If I need more I just copy them!

SIMPLE! Whistling

Hip

Posts: 1817 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that won't work as i load for several diff guns of same cailber but diff weights, loads etc. many times diff data for same gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do too, but I just mark the load listed with a star etc. and make a note as to which rifle it is meant for.

Hip

Posts: 1817 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I loaded for 2-3 cartridges I could pretty much recall load data, but I always checked a load manual before loading. Now I (loading 25 or so cartridges) keep a log book on every gun and various loads for that gun.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
then when you need to check a load all you have to do is flip to that page and check the data. DONE. and all data in same easy to retrieve place.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The shape and strength of various batches of components can change over the years, John, so even if you find your old best powder weights maybe you should go back to the base loads and work up again, noting in your new logbook all ingredients, COL etc for each rifle.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes. every year leading up to hunting season, i take the 4, sometimes 5, basic rifles we use and do just that. coal max is determined by magazine ID for 4, sighted in, adjusted if needed, and each rd to be carried in the field is run through the rifle so as to no surprises in the field chambering wise. each rifle gets 2 boxes. however....the 3 308s will use the same rds, with 1 MOA being acceptable. same for the 2 30-06s. all but one out of the 5 shoot 1/2"-3/4" at 125 yds. the holdout ruger american varies 3/4" to 1 1/4" and is used maybe every 2-3 years. all this acceptable, to me, for whiteails at 50-100 yds. exception being one i killed at a measured 285 yd. was a good shot. rare for me. can you tell i'm retired?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked my doctor the same question, was I a canidate for altimers or dementia, his reply was chit no your just a cranky old bastard..What relief!! now if I can make it another year to be 26..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I asked my doctor the same question, was I a canidate for altimers or dementia, his reply was chit no your just a cranky old bastard..What relief!! now if I can make it another year to be 26..

you left the 1 out in front of the 2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to post something---but now I forget what!

Hip

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nowadays I work around too many numbers that are not only important but also unforgiving. I don't bother even trying to remember stuff but I also look up even the important numbers that I know by heart.

Life was not only simpler back when I started reloading but how many of us had to remember passwords and PIN numbers back then? Thought so, don't hear anyone complaining how long it took to dial a password on a rotary phone, even if it didn't have any 8's or 9's in it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote