New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17-.223 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my son just gave me an upper for ar 15 in this cal.anyone have any favorite loads for this. and who makes .17 cal cleaning stuff. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go over to
AccurateShooter.com for several different 17's and some different problems on the AR with the longer cartridges. Maybe you can find what you are wanting to know. I made up a 204 for my AR and it was so long that the bullet had to be seated very deep to feed thru the original. A 17 Tach. would be a better length for the
Ar 15's

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your son most likely just handed you a butt load of headaches. Seventeen's can be difficult and capricious -- and I can't understand why the rifle would be chambered for the .17/223 wildcat when the .17 Remington is available as a factory loaded round and fits in the same magazine (better) as the .17/.223.

Anyway, I used to own a .17-223 and found that loading data for the .17 Rem (starting with less-than-maximum loads) works fine as a starting place for the wildcat version. To preserve your sanity try to find a ball (spherical) powder that works (something like WW 748). Stick powders play hell trying to pour them through a hole only about a sixth of an inch in diameter.

You'll not only need specialized cleaning equipment, but you'll need a special funnel that is small enough to drop powder into the mouth of the tiny shell (the orifice on most funnels and powder measures are too large for the .172" hole.) Lots of companies make rods and jigs for the .17 -- and you'll need them badly and use them frequently since the little bore size fouls quickly.

The .17 has its enthusiasts and defenders. And as long as the propulsion mechanism is air I like them, too.

Cleaning equipment

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a 17 of any kind but I can speak with experience about my 20-223 (20 Practical).

It shoots like a champ, doesn't foul any worse than a 22-250 and has a better BC, speed and trajectory. It's my go-to coyote rifle and has accounted for 17 so far this year.

Well, that didn't help you at all but I had fun pontificating.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i took the upper to my gunsmith and we put the bore scope to work man i have seen sewer pipes that were smoother. the leed was pitted very bad and the start of rifling was gone. now the wife has a new tomato stake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbill0690:
well i took the upper to my gunsmith and we put the bore scope to work man i have seen sewer pipes that were smoother. the leed was pitted very bad and the start of rifling was gone. now the wife has a new tomato stake.

LOL.
Well, now you know!
Good luck with the tomatoes sir.

Zeke