THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Don't attempt to chronograph loads from the offhand position. (With pics!)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't attempt to chronograph loads from the offhand position. (With pics!)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Well, the boss decided he wanted to see what some of my hotter 45-70 loads chronographed at. Started with 40 grains of H4198 and worked up, he flinched at the 47.5 grain mark I believe. Somewhere around 1700 fps with 405 grain cast boolits, nice expansion it appears. Glad it wasn't me shooting through his chrono.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
clap

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
What made the little ding in the upper left of the front?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shot.15' you say???? dancing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can happen to things other than Chronys too.

Once upon a time I wanted to get chrono data on a short (18") M60 barrel. M60 is an open bolt gun that does not have a good trigger and it does have a fair amount of mass moving when the trigger is released. Results in a fair amount of movement ... even with the gun mounted on a tripod.

Sure enough ... I got a couple of rounds worth of data ... and then put one right through the medium photo tripod holding the sky screens of my Pact chrono. 7.62 Nato defeats tripod any time!

Haven't tried that silly thing since Wink Some things simply have to remain a mystery.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Someone told me:
There are 2 kinds of people in this world -

Those that have shot their chrony and

Those that have yet to shoot their chrony

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Maybe he shot it with a 22 before? He gave me the pieces and told me to save them for future reference to always chrono from a bench. Big Grin He was real close too, he flinched big time!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Looks like a combo test... velocity AND penetration.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, Chrony will take it in on trade.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope he tagged it immediately jumping

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
What made the little ding in the upper left of the front?

270. rotflmo

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Slice it thin. Roll in flour and season salt. Deep fry it in very hot grease. rotflmo

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I mounted mine.

(Yeah, I know, but I just couldn't help myself.) Wink

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy in action no doubt .

A close personal shooting buddy put his Sky screens into orbit .Literally !.

I do swear it was the funniest sight you've ever seen .

His concentration was so fixated on the target and he had moved the sky screens back after his last grouping . He let off that shot pieces did orbit .

Funny the chrony listed that last shot as Slooooow .

I laughed so hard , I couldn't hold steady for 20 minutes .

I have a very small claim to fame . The hunting party I shoot with places targets on a wire suspension set up . To sight in prior to hunting .

Well everyone was sighting in their rifles bullets were all over that 20" cardboard and paper targets .
I had watched 7-10 people shooting not really saying much , enjoying a cold soda .

I step up zero up on a new paper squeeze off a round . The target fell crooked and there was no hole on the paper ?. So I went to rechamber a round , when I did I noticed my scope was all the way back !.What the hell ?.

I hear this chorus line of laughing behind me turn to see everybody rolling with laughter and realize a couple of buddies had loosened my scope up as well as screwed with the windage knob !.

My shot cut the suspension wire holding the target .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target , and watch the pranksters in your group . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was running a course once on bolwing pins and shot one close...Too close. the cup came back and smacked me sqaure in the nutzak.
i actually made it to the transition before i was overcome with nausua and had to stop.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine died last year and his family gave me a lot of his stuff including a Chrony.
It was already deceased from .177 pellet.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
I mounted mine.

(Yeah, I know, but I just couldn't help myself.) Wink

Got a friend up in Brisbane who has 3 mounted on his wall... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Maybe the ding up in the corner is from his chewing gum?

beer

I did blow the screens off of mine once from having it too close to the muzzle on my little Wby mag. It was one of those "uh-oh" moments, where I thought I may have actually hit the chrony. I was laughing about it, AFTER I realized no harm was done...

Close call, but so far I haven't hit mine.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Or the other title...

"Ways NOT to chronograph your loads"...

hey Chrony will actually replace those, with a refurb'ed one for like $45.00 to $50.00.. at least they did so in the past...

hasn't happened to me, but someone else I know...

I am sure it will eventually happen to all of us.. just a matter of time.... homer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone told me:

Truer words have not been spoken. Been there, done that. 9MM beats Chrony too!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
Someone told me:

Do I have a record here? I know the winner for smallest caliber is already taken at .177" But 2 hours is a pretty short life for a chronograph, you think? and 1/4" off dead center might be in the running for accuracy?

After 30 years of shooting, I bought my very first chronograph. A Chrony, same model as the one killed by the 45-70 that started this thread.

I commonly go shooting with a friend at a local range. On the very first outing, we got data on every different loading and caliber we had. That's the good news.

The last load we chronographed was .22 rimfire.

Then we put one (I say "we" because neither of us will ever tell) a quarter inch left of dead center of the readout screen.

Up until then the grouping was pretty good.

My second Chrony is the model with the remote screen on the end of an 18' phone cable.

I also bought a couple pieces of channel iron from a local fabricator/machine shop, and the chronograph is almost completely armored now.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm going for the other record. I've been shooting over the same set of skyscreens for my PACT chronograph since 1983.

Now that I've said that, I'll probably shoot it next weekend.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 3 chronos with pistols.
I have never shot any with rifles.
I chrono rifles 10 times as often.
Right now I am having a pistol-chrono moratorium.

I can't weld up a shield for the chrono, or it might ricochet.

I am going to mount the chrono under a plank.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
truncated for brevity...
I step up zero up on a new paper squeeze off a round . The target fell crooked and there was no hole on the paper ?. So I went to rechamber a round , when I did I noticed my scope was all the way back !.What the hell ?.

I hear this chorus line of laughing behind me turn to see everybody rolling with laughter and realize a couple of buddies had loosened my scope up as well as screwed with the windage knob !.

My shot cut the suspension wire holding the target .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target , and watch the pranksters in your group . ... salute

Dr. K,

There are some things that are just wrong.

You can mess with my dog. That's OK. He bites.

You can try to mess with my wife. That's OK. You deserve what you will get.

You can mess with me because I have a sense of humor.

But you don't mess with my children, my rifle, my tools or my horse.

I have one question for your buddies. "Who raised you?"

I apologize to you and to the rest of the forum for bringing my pique onto the forum, but I just had to speak up. I usually don't permit myself to rant in public.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, at least we seem to have FINALLY established once and for all that while EVERYBODY KNOWS you can't stop anything in Africa with a 45/70.... horse
You CAN DEFINITELY stop a CHRONY... clap
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Send it back and tell them it dosen't work must be a malfuckshun or something. rotflmo

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote