Find
Notify
Tools

Need a reduced-recoil 7mm-08 load.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
I need to develop a low-recoil load for my wife's first foray into rifle shooting with a Model 7, 7mm-08. I have 120 Nosler BT bullets and was going to try 32-36 grains of H4895, problem is that I do not have any H4895 powder. I do have IMR4895 and wonder if it would have similar burn properties to fully consume the reduced powder charge like H4895 does.

Anyone have experience with IMR4895 and reduced loads? (IE. below "book" minimum listed loads)

Any other recommended low-recoil loads for 120 gr BT in the 7mm-08? I have several powders on hand. (H4350, IMR4350, IMR3031, RL19, RL22, Win748, Win760, Varget, A4064, H1000 & H4831).

Thanks in advance.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you think she needs a load lower than book minimum? Good ear protection reduce the felt shock too.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Trail Boss.
I bought some to make 6.5 Grendel subsonic suppressed loads but it will work for anything up to and including the big magnums

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use the IMR4894 the loads will be similar to Hodgdon's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Hornady Lite 7mm-08 120gr SST factory loads for my daughter. The load is perfect for a new shooter.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
I ordered the Hornady Lite 7mm-08 120gr SST factory loads for my daughter. The load is perfect for a new shooter.

That is the load I am trying to duplicate.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the IMR will be fine.
I actually prefer it to the H type when reducing loads.
you can also use the 3031 off your list of powders.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08 load:
Nosler BT 120 gr.
35 gr. H4895
WLR
avg. 10 shots-2412fps.
ES-83
sd-29

Shot a deer through the chest: dead.
I have used this bullet in 7TCU rifle @ 2600 and shot through both shoulders and exited: dead.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cwilson,

Here is some 120 grain (various mfgr) reloading data using IMR 4895 from Load Data. As always start low and work up. There are a number of loads that will give you about 2600 fps with a 120-grain bullet to match the Hornady factory ammo Good luck.
Paul

PM sent to you...Data sent

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A brake might be more effective.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
My daugther killed a few animals with this load before stepping up to a full power 140 gr load and now a full power 35 Whelen load.

This load dropped a big aoudad on the spot.

7mm-08 Remington
120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter
2,640 fps (20” barrel)
CCI #200 Primers Remington Case COL 2.780”
41.0 gr Varget

Aoudad

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Finally did this load and for my wife to shoot it. Decided on 36 grains of IMR 4895. WLR primers. Rem brass & 120 grain Nosler BT. Load was very mild recoil and accuracy about 1 1/2” for the last 6 shots. I would not take it for moose, but I bet it will work well for deer under 100 yards, which is our expected shot distance. My wife shot ten shots. It was her first time shooting any rifle bigger than a .22lr. I had a PAST pad for her and she tolerated the recoil well and only flinched on one shot. I was pretty proud of her, actually. Also had her shooting a little CZ .22lr before and after to help with shot execution.

cwilson