Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant 2000mr .308 win
 Login/Join

posted
I've been doing some reading on this powder. Lots of posts on different forums in 2010.

I'm planning on shooting 150 and 165 accubonds out of a 22" x bolt with 1/12 twist.

Anyone done much experimenting with this powder on these bullet weights?

posted Hide Post
Just any case anyone is interested. I called Alliant and spoke with one of their technicians. I asked why there was so much buzz about 2000MR in 2010 and 2011 (because it was driving bullets so fast) and then all the talk disappeared. He thought it was do to is temperature sensitivity. I explained that I was a hunter. I told him I hunted in temperatures from mid 50's down to the teens, and once in a while below zero.

He highly recommended using their new powder developed 2 years ago called AR Comp. He claimed it is not temperature sensitive and from a 24" barrel drove a 150 grain bullet at 2900 fps and a 165 bullet at 2750 fps. He claimed that it was extremely accurate.

He also said that RL16 RL23 RL26 powders are are not temperature sensitive and are brand new powders developed in the last couple years.

Sound like Alliant is striving to make more new very accurate powders that are not temp sensitive.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've been using AR-Comp in the 308 and 6.5 grendel with success.

308 = 168hpbt Noslers, in a 20" - 40.gr 2520 fps.
worked well in a Savage 99 308 also.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello
Been using 2000MR in a Scout Rifle with 150-180gr bullets, along with about fifteen other powders.
Even with the short barrel and as much 2000MR that is required in a .308 case, it consistently produces the tightest Standard Deviations of any powder tried, and in most cases single digits.. Accuracy has been the best, in this particular rifle, with 175-180gr bullets.
I've been using the Fed 210 primer with 2000MR.
I think this powder is worth a try..

BTW, AR COMP has not been very useful in this rifle so far..Still have some loads to try.

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 35 Whelen AI, and it is almost exactly a slightly larger 308 Win. There was no data for 2000-MR for my cartridge, so I started low and worked up, using a chronograph and measuring case head expansion on every round fired. Using 250 grain bullets, when I got to 96% fill to bullet base, I fired a 3-shot string over the chrono where all 3 shots registered the exact same velocity. The previous 3 and the next 3 all had a spread around 12-15 fps, so it wasn't a chrono glitch. It's been a very consistent powder for me.