Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 7.62x39 sizing die
 Login/Join

posted
I am using the Lee 7.62x39 die set on my Dillon xl650 press, and I am noticing that after using the sizing die on the case, the length is OK using the calipers, and it will fit into the Wilson case gauge. But, the re-sized cases are just a little longer than the MAX length of the gauge. New ammo fits perfectly into the gauge to the correct depth. It looks like the neck is not getting compressed correctly. If I turn the case around and stick the case head into the gauge, it going into the case gauge with ease. I have tried different adjustments on the die, but get the same results. Any ideas?

Gary

Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin' - John Wayne, True Grit

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Where is the head of the brass when in the wilson gage? If the head is to low in the gage, this will make your trim length look to long in the gage. The gage only measures from head to the shoulder of the brass for a correct cartridge headspacing. If your full length die is pushing the shoulder back to far on sizing, the gage will make the trim length look to long.You can not adjust the FL die down to contact the Dillon shell plate and always get the correct sizing of the brass. You must use a wilson gage when adjusting the FL sizing die.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is some more info. Tried to use RCBS dies also, and had the same issue: finished rounds would not fit correctly into the case gauge. The head was way out side the MAX length. So, here is a question that I have: All of these cases had military crimps on them and all had a small dent on the top of the case head on the outside edge next to the 7.62x39 or the company name. I have never seen this on 223 cases I have reloaded. Now, I did not not fire these, but I purchased these as "once fired brass" at a local gun show.

Any ideas?

Gary

Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin' - John Wayne, True Grit

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I turn the case around and stick the case head into the gauge, it going into the case gauge with ease.

Your 2nd post describes a rim with a ding on it from the extractor? But if brass fits the gauge as you said in the Quote, i dont know?? Will your empty sized/trimmed brass go into the rifles chamber? Measure the Dillon Shell plate, it might be to thick, keeping you from sizing the brass correctly. It should be .125" or less. The one in the photos is to thin.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Check the measurements of your sized brass. Compare to the maximum measurements lister here > http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm Can you take a photo of the small dent on the top of the case head on the outside edge?