New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taper crimp dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to get some taper crimp dies for my 38-40 Win., 30-30 Win and 25-35..I think I can get the 30-30s from Brownells on special order, but having trouble with the other two especially the 25-35, Does any one these days make special order taper trim dies

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why on earth after many decades of reloading do you now need taper crimp dies for these classics?
I am speaking for myself of course; you might have a need. One that I can't imagine.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to try Lee’s Factory Crimp Die.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the lee is a squish die not a taper crimp.

Ray you should be able to use a 308 taper crimp die for the 30-30.
your on your own for the others, but CH4D is the first place I'd look.
you'll probably be on a 5-6 year waiting list, but they would probably make you one.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why on earth after many decades of reloading do you now need taper crimp dies for these classics?
I am speaking for myself of course; you might have a need. One that I can't imagine.

I have the same thoughts.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
You can shorten a 40 S&W taper crimp die for use with the 38-40; maybe a similar 'bodge' for 30-30 using a 32 ACP taper crimp die if such a thing exists. The 25-35 ... that's a tough one.

Got a good friend with a lathe?

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get somewhat of a taper crimp by running the loaded round into the sizing with the depriming assy. removed. I used to do this with 223 on a progressive press, but have since gone to the Lee collet.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Roughone said...

Posts: 73 | Location: CT | Registered: 12 December 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually what I needed to know is what is the difference in a taper crimp die and the factory crimp dies that are sold seperatly..I suspect the factory dies when you buy a set of dies downtown are roll crimp..Im not looking for crimping dies, I use the dies that seat the bullets like most..I would like to know the difference in the 3 as thats they way the catalogs describe them..I think one could actually use a trim die to crimp a loaded round, but have not tried it...

ddpcd and p-dog, not to worry, I just use the two die sets just like you do, with the exception of my double rifles and I have taper crimp dies for them..as a bulged case and a forward moving buffalo is disturbing...

dpcd and p-dog, the taper crimp die does have its place and it prevents the bulge in the entrance of the neck that jams lever guns, pistols, etc..thats caused jams as its very hard to trim cases to the "exact" same lenth thats necessary to make a factory set of dies work 110%...just to answer your question, as long as you two been loading I would have not expected such a reply!! jumping hammering

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote