Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

>.223/5.56 Case Technical Question
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to the site and have a technical question.
I am reloading military 5.56 brass for my .223 Wylde. The reloading books state the max case length is 1.760 inches and Trim length is 1.750 inches.
I have about 40 factory cases that are shorter than the 1.750 inches, running in the 1.740-1.750 length. Are these .002-.010 shorter length cases safe to reuse?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Posts: 6 | Location: Warrenton, OR | Registered: 23 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes use normal load development with them and use them.

223 Wylde is not a caliber/cartridge but a chamber dimension. Designed to use both 223Rem or 5.56.

Posts: 19330 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great, Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 6 | Location: Warrenton, OR | Registered: 23 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Short cases are never a problem as long as the bullet is seated normally. Only if you crimp. You can make them half the length and be ok. So ten thousandths is nothing.

Posts: 17065 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Short cases are never a problem as long as the bullet is seated normally. Only if you crimp. You can make them half the length and be ok. So ten thousandths is nothing.

Fantastic, Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board.

When you start feeling resistance when chambering a round. Look at the case mouth to see if there's marks from it being too long. Verify, then trim them back again.

Not knowing all these things I ran .222mag cases FL sized each time in old junk Herter's dies over 60 reloads per case. Wore the barrel out with the same 100 cases.

When the gun was rebarreled to .223. I still had 95 cases left. I'd crushed two in the press, one cracked neck and lost two in the field.

Yes they were UGLY. Never trimmed, never cleaned, never annealed.
With all the fancy doings so many here preach it's a real wonder things didn't blow up.

Just some of my experience's. Yes, I clean, trim and sort somewhat now. Have too many to worry about annealing but, I would.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I cut all of my .223 brass to 1.740 the very first time that I size it then I never trim it nor measure it again.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen!