New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED Lighting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Revamping my reloading room lighting. Will LED lighting affect my electronic scale ?

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 660 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
LED I don't think will be an issue. I've heard of florescent ballast causing issues.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have LED lighting above my lock and load dispenser...no effect on it at all.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You :
I knew florescent lights will effect them but wasn't sure about LED's. I know my Lyman case tumbler effects it big time. It drove me crazy for a while, of coarse, that has always been a short drive for me. Smiler

Paul

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 660 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul K:
Thank You :
I knew florescent lights will effect them but wasn't sure about LED's.

Paul

Fluorescent lighting MAY effect your scale, but it may not. I have fluorescent lights over my electronic scale and have never had a problem. I chalk it up to not believing everything posted on the internet.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing it WILL do, is brighten up your
working area.

Hung a double 4' over my lathe. WOW the difference!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5939 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on george

replaced 8 of the 18 fluorescent fixtures in my shop--less than half the current draw and seems twice as bright
These were 8' lamps and I needed to pull out the ballasts and direct wire the LED's into the lolders but it is well worth the effort--more light, less electricity used, NO ballasts to crap out and an expected life of 50,000 hours.
Things calculate out to 12 YEARS OF USE IF I LEAVE THEM ON 12 HOURS A DAY
Given my current age and anticipated use I suspect my heirs will be replacing them -not me

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I just did a LED retrofit in the two bulb 4' hanging over my bench. Took all of 5 minutes. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. Much brighter, better quality light, and no hum.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just did a LED retrofit in the two bulb 4' hanging over my bench. Took all of 5 minutes.

What does the retrofit involve?? Where did you get the kit for the conversion?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2290 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Most electrical supply shops will have them. Essentially it comes with a driver, and two four foot LED strips that are all magnetic backed. Remove the ballast and tubes from the fixture, and pop the driver and strips in.

Heres a link to what I have.

https://www.erglighting.com/retrofit-kits/

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66886 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
They are getting cheaper. I replace the shoplight over my loading bench with an LED fixture 3 years ago and it was $140 bucks if my memory serves me.

I was looking for another to replace in the laundry room, and the same light is now less than $60 bucks. The only remaining fluorescent int eh house is on the kitchen, and that will get replaced with LED's in the near future as well.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote