New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot capsules
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know what is going on with the Speer shot capsules???
I've been trying to find them, in all 3 calibers, since Oct. 2016. No one, not even Speer, has them.
Are they discontinued? Where could I possible find some (I can afford)?
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never used them. I use to make my own using gas checks or soft gas checks (wax) as over powder wads, then the shot and another gas check for over the shot. Worked but the patterns had a hole in the middle so you had to hold off to make a good hit. Also held less shot.

I know a little off topic but I though I would give you an option.

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I too have been looking for the ones on .38 and .45 I have had no luck with locating them or their plastic bullets and cartridges for indoor shooting that just used a primer as the propellant.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cal30,
Make your own indoor rounds. Take the empty brass and drill out the flash hole with an 1/8" drill so the primes won't back out when firing. Make the bullets with parafin/wax used for canning. use the empty case as a cookie cutter. Warm the wax in a pan of warm water to ease cutting and use a shell holder to hold the case to let air escape the case when cutting the wax.
They shoot good in my.38 revolver but shoot low due to little or no recoil.

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work great on mice at 2 feet, beyond that its a crap shoot, at least in my 357 and 38. so most folks buy one 6 pack and toss 5 of them..demand dwindled for that reason Im told, and I agree, a worthless product..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used them successfully, using #9 shot or smaller they worked on snakes out to about 8 feet. Due to rifling might need to aim a little off center.
HL

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen them around lately either, but they're a great product. Mostly I've used them in the .44. I've had real good luck at least slowing down rattlers with them. They're terrific when you're among equipment or livestock and/or on a hard surface where you really don't want a bullet bouncing around.

Years ago I remember reading an article in Handloader that gave step by step instructions about how to make your own for the .41 Mag. out of 30-30 brass. It worked great, but you could lead up your rifling pretty bad so a capsule is much better. There must be other combos for brass that would work for other handgun cartridges.

The diameters are real close for using a 28ga shotgun wad in a 500 S&W, but I've been chicken to try loading it.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can make some pretty good .45 Colt loads using .444 brass and a .410 wads. A little time consuming but I made some a few years back that worked pretty well.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote