Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HKman
posted
I�m loading Hornady 400 Gr. Round Nose bullets for my .416 Rem. Mag. magazine rifle. It is impossible to seat the bullets enough to align the cannelure with the case mouth, because the cannelure is too far back. When I�m trying this there is no reliable feeding and functioning. I can seat the bullets without crimp so that the OAL is o.k, the next option is to load different bullets. Do you know a way to avoid this problem with the Hornady bullets?

Posts: 50 | Location: Nürnberg, Germany | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
HKman
I hope this helps. There is a tool that cuts a cannelure into bullets. I only know about this tool from reading about it, I have never actually seen one. At www.realguns.com/commentary.htm there is some information about it.
Later
ZM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
HK man,

You can slso get a LEE factory crimp die. It does need a cannelure to crimp the case into the bullet.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Lee crimp die will only work if you can crimp before the start of bullet ogive and will NOT serve to maintain bullet position anywhere near as reliably as a cannelure.
How far out is the cannelure on your bullets?
In .416, I have OFTEN trimmed cases back to achieve a proper crimp and correct overall length. This is no big deal as this "problem" occurs often with the .416.

Best ... Nick

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 04-05-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick is right, that is the easiest and probably best option. If you want to create your own cannelure, CH4D has a tool for it. It works well, for lead cored bullets only, .458 diameter or less. Don't try to make too deep of a cannelure as it may weaken the bullet jacket, just enough to get a good bite for the crimp. And use a Lee factory crimp die.
www.ch4d.com. Look for cannelure tool.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HKman
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. My gunsmith told me another option. He recommended to fix the bullet with glue or cement instead of crimping. I have no idea how this works but I keep you informed.

Posts: 50 | Location: Nürnberg, Germany | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Use Saeed's method. Choose a powder that fills the case 110% so nothing can shove the bullet any deeper.

I'd be really leery of using any kind of glue...

Don

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
HKman - Anything that you use on the chamber side of a primer will end up in your barrel. As Don said, glue ain't a good idea.

I hate to admit it, but Nick is right - trim your case. This is quite easy and should not impact accuracy. Cutting a new cannelure can upset the rotational balance of a bullet. By cutting a new cannelure, you add a new variable to the long list of accuracy and bullet performance gremlins. Save some cussing and trim your case and ensure a 100%load density - problem solved.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DaveC,
You are saying to use the Lee Crimp die in conjunction with the newly created cannelure? YES!... And also with factory cannelures the Lee Crimp die produces a very attractive "roll-in" effect that can not be attained with the seating die crimp. This may give additional feeding smoothness, if not reliability. I now crimp my cases as I always have with the seating die and, when available, I crimp a second time using the Lee tool. I like the looks of the result.

ZERO - Be nice ... it's O.K. to agree once in a while.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 04-05-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<TERMINATOR>
posted
I read about a guy who wanted some water proof cartridges for a hunt in Alaska. He sealed the bullets in with laquer. He came home feet first.

Using glue to hold in your bullets could have a very adverse impact on chamber pressures. Don't risk it.

Good luck.