Find
Notify
Tools

Remington primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
Are Remington nine-and-a-half primers wider than others?

I have been reloading once-fired RWS 6.54x54 MS cases and found the Remington primers almost impossible to seat. Finally, I added a sleeve of steel to increase leverage on the press handle, to get them below the base line. Are they meant for cases that have been overloaded?

CCI 250 primers, on the other hand, went in without trouble - but I'm not sure if they are suited to such a small case.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to this: http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php, Rem 9 1/2s have the smallest diameter.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Use a Primer pocket uniformer.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the "experts" say in the charts, Remington 9 1/2 primers are the most difficult to seat. It's either the primer OD or the cup hardness but either way, they're more difficult to seat... but I still use them in several applications.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hard seating of the primers could be due to the height of the primer not the diameter. I find with SOME cases the 9 1/2's are hard to seat deep enough but not with all brands of brass.

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I have had the same issue with Federal LR.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I might have to move on to some other brand for that calibre.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only primer I've ever used in all my large rifles for 40+years ,,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had difficulties to seat CCI and Federal primers in .303BR Cellier and Ballot cases. However Remington primers did the thing for me. So it seems to depend on the batch you are loading.