New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-08 AI, Web sit for Lee Precision
 Login/Join

<Dick>
posted
I would like some info on the 7-08 AI, I am looking to build one on a 600 Rem. Action, what can I expect for performance ? and I also need a web address for lee precision, I need to order some parts for a auto-prime.
thankx.
Dick

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know just as soon as I get mine back from the gunsmith...

I, too, am building a 7-08AI on a model 600 action!

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
Try this link:

www.leeprecision.com

Good luck!

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<LReynolds>
posted
I have several AI rifles including the 7mm-08AI. I like it. Expect about 100 fps increase in a 24" bbl. I can get about 2950-3000 fps with a 140g bullet in my 24" bbl, which I strongly recommend.

<sure-shot>
posted
Check out Wildcat Cartridges Combo I & II by Wolfe Publishing. Good chapter on the 7mm08imp by Layne Simpson. He named it the 7SGLC (Simpson's Good Little Cartridge). Apparently he improved this cartridge before it was even a factory cartridge using 308win cases.I believe this work was done in the mid 70's.
Another gunrwiter, Steve Timm also likes to call this cartridge the 7SGLC(Steve's Good Little Cartridge) Plagiarism? He also has high regards for this sensible wildcat.
You can expect 280REM velocities out of short action rifle using at least a 22" barrel.I went with 22.5". Less recoil and longer case life are added benefits.
Noted riflesmiths Darrell Holland and Kenny Jarrett are very fond of this cartridge. Darrell and the Varmint Hunter Assoc staff recently used the 7mm08AI to take a variety of plains game in South Africa using Nosler's 140grBT.
Pac-Nor carries 7mm08AI reamers. I went with a 2.5 contour,.635 muzzle dia., 11 twist barrel. Turnaround time was 14 weeks. Chambering work looks excellant also. I will start load development in June when it warms up. Hope this helps ya!

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 04-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 04-22-2001).]

<Dick>
posted
Thankx guys- your info is great. Am looking forward to getting this rifle put together. What barrels are you using? CM or SS? will a 11 twist handle bullets lights to heaviest?
thanks again.
Dick

<sodpoodle>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dick:
I would like some info on the 7-08 AI, I am looking to build one on a 600 Rem. Action, what can I expect for performance ? and I also need a web address for lee precision, I need to order some parts for a auto-prime.
thankx.
Dick
Dick: The 7-08AI is a wonderful cartridge. I shoot one built on a Rem 700.... 'smithed by Darrel Holland. I currently shoot Sierra 130 match and Nosler 120 Bal. tip bullets. Velocities for these are running right at 3200 fps from a 24" SS Pac-Nor barrel. I tols Darrel Holland that I didn't want to shoot anything heavier than a 140g. bullet, so mine is set up with 1:11 twist. I have shot mine to 1000 yds.... does pretty well. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. sodpoodle ps. I'm new to this sight, so I apologize if this posts funny.

<sure-shot>
posted
Dick, I believe you can shoot up to 150gr 7mm bullets with an 11 twist. SS barrels have longer shooting life and better rust resistance. It's the only way to go in a match grade barrel. Good luck.

sure-shot