New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt Bullets Sliding Into Fully Sized Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am using once fired Winchester brass and a Hand Pounder Lee Loader.
Am full length resizing (with lube).
The bullets are 230 grain copper jacket with diameter of .452.
After full length resizing the ID of the brass is 0.445.
Overall case length is 1.280
Set my cartridge overall length to 1.595.
Bullets tend to slide all the way into the case.
Could use help.
Several years ago I used this same Lee Loader for my 45 Colt and had no problems. Back then I was loading cast bullets.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
From your set of data points, regarding bullet OD and case ID, what you describe is impossible. A constriction of .007 will hold the bullet.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree technically, but facts don't lie. The bullets are sliding into the case up to OAL case length (1.595 to 1.6), then the slightest pressure on end of bullets pushes it into the case.
All I can figure is that the case is so soft that it may be stretching as bullet is pressed in.
Am open to looking for any other possible reason.
Also, could I use some kind of substance (Like military cartridges use) to secure the bullets. If so, what would that substance be. I've heard about people asking if they could use nail polish.
If the cases are stretching, what would be the solution.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem when I started loading .45 Colt in the early 70s. I was using Lyman carbide dies in a press, not a Lee loader. I think the dies were meant for .454 or larger bullets. I started just running the cases about half way into a .45 ACP carbide die after sizing in the .45 Colt die. That sized the case mouth enough that it held the bullet. It added a step to the process but is easy to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dale.
I was wondering if I could o that with one of my other dies. I don't have 45ACP dies. Maybe I need to buy just the 45 ACP sizer.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
CN a guy just use acp dies to reload the 45 colt?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
CN a guy just use acp dies to reload the 45 colt?

That's all I've used since buying a Ruger 45 Colt/ACP with interchangeable cylinders in 1973. Works fine.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I don't have 45 ACP dies I looked for something similar that I have.
I found that my 308 Winchester sizing die will work. I press the case into the die only about 3/8 inch and retract. Then insert the bullet and it holds perfectly.
Excellent advice.
Thanks.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then your measurement of either the ID or the OD, is not accurate.
It is not the brass.
You need another sizing die, no matter what it is.
Yes, you can use a 45 ACP die; it might leave a step in the brass though. I did it before I got a real 45 Colt die.
I see you fixed the issue using a rifle die; good job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can assure you that my measurements were accurate. My tools are annually checked against standards.
To prove my measurements, I remeasured the brass ID after using the 308 die. It measured 0.441.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, 1.441; you need to recalibrate; I am just reading the numbers.
Anyway, glad you got it working.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HAHa. My fat thumb. Corrected to 0.441
Thanks

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
When loading for a 455 Webley I used shortened 45 Colt cases and 45ACP dies, worked a treat for all jacketed and cast bullets that I used.
The shortened 45 Colt cases for the Webley revolver were the same length as 45 ACP.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote