THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    357 Magnum – Any erosion issues with H110 (Win 296), Lil'Gun or H4227?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Magnum – Any erosion issues with H110 (Win 296), Lil'Gun or H4227?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
This is the first time loading for this new Smith & Wesson .357 Mag. ( Link )

Also, I have wanted a Redding T-7 press for years for loading handgun rounds and finally decided it was time. It seems robust enough to do some of the rifle ammo as well. I used some (very old) scrap metal I had lying around to build a quick mount. (My intention was to put a receiver hitch style mount on the underside of my work table for easily changing out all of my presses and other tools, but I ran out of the female hitch material for that so I temporarily mounted it on top of the table instead just to get going.)

Anyway, my question is about powders. I have some Hodgdon H110 (same as Winchester 296) as well as Hodgdon Lil'Gun and H4227 that I use for my .500 S&W. The books show excellent velocity in the .357 Mag with these powders as well.

My question : Has anyone experienced any abnormal or increased erosion of the top strap when using either of these powders? I seem to recall reading a complaint about that somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry about the gigantic pictures. I am still learning how to use Imgur)

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 296 for years in both my pistol in 44 mag and lever gun.
Never seen any erosion in either.
Pistols rarely run enough pressure through the forcing cone to cause erosion. I’m not saying it’s not possible with a lot of shooting in a string, just that I’ve never seen any.

I also recall hearing many complaints that it burns dirty, not in my experience, my lever looks slightly dulled after 50 odd rounds down, whereas using 2400 the barrel looked like crap after only 20 rounds.

I like 296, it gives me the highest velocity with the best groups.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you stay away from light bullets -125gr- with the W296/H110 you should be ok. Pushing the little ones with max loads of H110 will erode the top strap. I have done it.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. Interesting. I was afraid of that. I do plan on shooting both 125 grain and 158 grain bullets. I Googled “H110 W296 erosion” and found multiple ancedotal examples both for and against the powder with regards to erosion of the top strap and the forcing cone.

Does anyone have any experience with Lil’Gun or H4227? I have used Lil’Gun with excellent results in the .450 Bushmaster, but have not tried it in a handun yet.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
If you stay away from light bullets -125gr- with the W296/H110 you should be ok. Pushing the little ones with max loads of H110 will erode the top strap. I have done it.
C.G.B.

FrownerThe same pushing cast bullets which can and have got stuck in the barrel . A loud bark and a lot of flame from between the cylinder and the barrel. Stuck two one behind the other in the barrel before my brain flashed a warning signal. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that light bullets, pushed hard with any powder, will probably give some erosion. I have heard that if you stick with 135 gr. and up bullets things should be ok.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience H110 is a border line powder to use in a 38 special or .357 magnum. In my 38 special # 3 Ruger it is perfect in that all the powder burns at reasonable pressures. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's why they stopped making the 357 maximum; too much of a good thing.
And 296 and H110 is too slow for the 357 anyway. Unless you just like the fireballs. Which I do.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
H110 and 110 grain slugs cut a nice trough in my 586 top strap.

Quite impressive on watermelons though.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before believing the hype & BS that H110 & 296 are the same powders-

Load both powders & run the loads through a chronograph.

Take notes

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used WW296 in 357 and 22 HOrnet without problems..Ive used H4227 in my 38-40 Win. rifle and 630, 296, LilGun in my 22 Hornet, no problems.

99% of the time firearm cleaning will prevent most types of corrosion..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use bullseye and red dot to reload .357 magnum for my model 27.... 6.2 grs. of bullseye with a 150 gr hard cast bullet gets me right at 1230 fps. i have some red dot reloads but i forgot the avg. velocity... i do know they seemed pretty mild for the magmun load.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
ooopps there is very little change to the topstrap with these fast burning powders........