Find
Notify
Tools

Talk about a compressed load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted
I have an old Speer 1998 reloading manual and was looking at some of the 300 Win Mag loads it recommends. After looking at several, I decided to load one. Here is the recipe for the minimum load,.............

Remington 300 Win Mag case, sized full length.
Powder--H1000 87Grs Min. load------Max. load calls for 91.0Grs powder
Nosler--180Gr Ballistic Tip
Primer--Federal-215
COL-----3.560"

When I loaded the powder 87Grs, it came to within 1/8" of the top of the case neck. The Max. load took it over the top. Now I don't mind loading compressed, but this is a bit much in my opinion. Has something changed since 1998? Are cases different? Powder etc.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but that sounded a little out of sorts to me so I looked at the Hodgdon site.

H1000 81.0C 3042 52,900 CUP
That's the Max load for 300 Win Mag using 180 gr. bullets.

300 WIN loads.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Stop!

My Speer manual lists 77 gr minimum and 81 gr compressed for maximum!

I have Hodgdon loading information that lists 76 minimum 81 gr compressed for maximum!

What is going on here?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dawgs says 87 and 91, woods' says 77 and 81, which is definately the correct one. either dawg got the wrong cartridge, or his speer manual replaced 77 as 87 and 81 as 91.

Gun control is hitting your target.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
That is the data for the 300 Weatherby Magnum shooting a 150 gr bullet.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
You guys are right , that load is for the 300 Weatherby Magnum. What a dumb ass mistake. Nope, did not try to shoot any, as a matter of fact never loaded any. Was just looking at loads in the old manuals and comparing them to some of the latest Lee data.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Devildawg66

It happens that's why it is always good to double check loads you get here. Honest mistakes happen. I usually post the source of my loads on here. Makes for a quick reference for those that may be interested in using it. I never post over MAX loads. Someone elses gun may not handle them or they may not take the time to use safe loading practices and work up.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote