New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubond LR Jump to Lands
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Browning Shorttrac, 7mm WSM. Close to 1 MOA with Sierra 130gr Matchkings and IMR4350. Switched to 150gr Accubond LR, accuracy has fallen off considerably. Same cases, primers, powder (4350). I did check and because of the long ogive the bullet is about .180 off the lands. Anyone experience any issues with these bullets like this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might check the throat of your rifle, For a rifle to shoot well with LR ( longer than normal bullet length ) you need an extra long throat, in order to seat those bullets out and to be able to increase your powder charge..If you seat that long bullet in a short throated chamber, you have to seat the bullet too deep into the powder charge and in many cases, in fact most cases you do not reach desirable muzzle velocity and it generally won't shoot accurately with this set up..In your case have a gunsmith lengthen the throat and the magazine to match..and you can shoot shorter (lighter) bullets as well, that jump acclaimed by some to destroy accuracy is pure BS, all my guns have long mags and long throats and they shoot varmint bullets as well as the heavy bullets, all of them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with that cartridge and that bullet but it is not surprising that you make a change to a different bullet and 20 grains heavier bullet at that and have accuracy issues.
The LR bullets are all the rage right now but your rifle "may not" like a bullet that long.
Try working up a completely new load and if it doesn't shoot that bullet well then go to a lighter bullet.
Don't get high centered on what some keyboard expert says you need to be at for distance to the lands. I always start at Reloading book recommended overall length then adjust from there if needed.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it might not just be the jump.
if it's like my 7 wsm was it didn't start responding until I got the speeds up to right at the upper end.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive only read about that terrible jump, but I shoot 130 gr. Speers in my 7x57s that are chambered for 175 gr. Barnes monolithics and 160 gr. bullets..The speers shoot pin holes..I have seen so many incidents wherein that jump did not effect accuracy that Ive written off that fable, keeping in mind that in rare cases perhaps in could effect a tempermental or stupid rifle.! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote