Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot loads- reduced recoil ...
 Login/Join

posted
So..., although I have been handloading for a really long time.... (let's say... who remembers Herter's in Houston - like... seeing the "trophies" in the windows as you drove by????)...

OK... now I'm getting lazy.... I had a reduced recoil load for the 30-06 using Blue dot 150g SP .... somehow I have lost the load data... Old age? - I don't think so... I'm only 53, but my wife (30 yrs married) is probably in bed - I'm not - hmmm... Parkinson's... not yet... although last week I lost a wrench while I was working on a Polaris SxS, and found it when I stood up... it was in my lap... LOL!

Ok... So, here's what I've got from my notes...
6MM Rem - M600 - 18" bbl - 17.3g Blue Dot - 100g Core Lokt ~2100 fps, sub MOA (1/4"@ 100yds)....
.243 Win - Savage 110 - 24" bbl - 18.0g Blue dot - 100g Core Lokt... ~2300 fps, sub MOA (3/4"@100yds)
7mm RM - M700 - 26" bbl - 27.3g Blue dot - 139g Hornady Interlock... ~2350 fps, sub MOA (9/16"@`100yds)

So... I am looking for some recipes for 30-06 and and any others using the reduced recoil Blue Dot powder loads.... What you got???

"Besides a well tuned round, a firearm's accuracy is largely dependent on what's attached on the other end of the booger hook that's on the the trigger"

Posts: 4 | Location: Deep East Texas | Registered: 08 December 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK

Posts: 19344 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
OK

jumping

Perfect answer! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66886 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon reduced loads
Hodgdon Powder Company has found that H4895 can be loaded to reduced levels. H4895 was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced charges. To create reduced loads, the 60% formula is recommended. Find the H4895 load in the Reloading Data Center for your caliber and bullet.
OR, Hodgdon® h4895® reduced rifle loads - IMR ® Powder
https://imrpowder.com/wp-conte...uced-rifle-loads.pdf
Search for: Hodgdon reduced loads

Less chance of inexperienced reloaders blowing themselves up with this. All their recipes can be found on the Hodgdon site. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now here’s my rules...#5)A “group” is measured from outside to outside....

And yet, you claim 1/4” groups at 100 yards with a .243” bullet.....

I shoot a lot of BlueDot in rifles and handguns (see below), hunt and kill game with it too. But I no longer share loads for liability reasons.

.32 H&R
.45 LC
.223 Rem
.260 Rem
.300 Savage
.338-06
.338 Win Mag
.35 Rem
.38-55 Win
.45-70 Govt

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:

Surely you realize magically accurate 6mm bullets travel in interdimensional space.

OP, Type "seafire blue dot .30-06" into a search.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot works great for reduced loads in my medium and big bore rifles for off hand shooting practice (more challenging and more practical than bench rest shooting). Haven't tried Blue Dot in the small bores yet.

5 shots off hand at 100 meters using my 9.3x74R Ruger No.1-S with 285gr bullets and Blue Dot (measured with a powder dipper).

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldSend me your E-Mail address an I'll give you Sea Fires data + beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
OK

jumping

Perfect answer! clap

plus 1

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to #2 Wink

Posts: 3840 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Looking forward to #2 Wink

That is going to be very interesting to see.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66886 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
Now here’s my rules...#5)A “group” is measured from outside to outside....

In the little podunk school I went to, teachers always told us 1/4" in fractions was equal to 0.250" in decimals - It's always a good day when I learn something new, like there is no way to make a single 0.250" hole with multiple 0.243" projectiles... Wink

I'm glad I was able to give y'all a smile or even a laugh or two... Don't worry about hurtin' my feelings or making me mad - it's a hard thing to do to this ol' coot...
I have nothing to brag about - just stating the facts... For a very long time I have had the fortunate circumstance to where I could load some rounds in the evenings, then, weather permitting, see what they did the next day, repeat... practice really does improve technique...

BTW, 4sixteen - that's pretty good off hand shooting with a mule kicker like that!

Now, all playing aside, (my grandkids love the fact I don't mind playing - nor watching animated movies Big Grin ) - there is a reason I'm looking for the BlueDot loads.

I've dealt with the H4895 reduced loads, and honestly I was not able to get them to produce like using BlueDot, except in the rimmed cartridges like 30-30 and 45/70...

I have had years of personal load data come up disappeared, and rather than the long process of starting totally from scratch, I was hoping for some good starting points, of which I have already had some help, and a Big Thanks for that...

"Besides a well tuned round, a firearm's accuracy is largely dependent on what's attached on the other end of the booger hook that's on the the trigger"

Posts: 4 | Location: Deep East Texas | Registered: 08 December 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1, I tend to agree with you on the H4895.
For sub sonic loads and plinking at close range, I settled on Trail Boss. Great fun when I am restricted on FPS, which by the sound of it, you're not.
Welcome to the forum by the way. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been to Houston, never saw Herter's, but owned lots of Herter's reloading equipment in the 60's. old

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1048 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

I was in communication with SeaFire back years ago and I too have much of his data with BlueDot
Found it to be spot on
If it is OK with you, can I PM you and see if you have some calibers that I don't?
Will reciprocate if you need any I have printed off.
I think SeaFire left the range, so to speak. so whatever he posted will be all we get.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Direct E-mail would be better.
bartsche@sbcglobal.net .
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote