Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 9 1/2 primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Remington 9 1/2 primers are all but impossible to find around here and was told by a well respected reloading store owner that Remington was dropping it reloading components. Forcing the public to buy their loaded ammo, anyone know anything about this or if it's even true?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midsouth, Natchez, and Selway have them by the 1000.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Available as above, plus shown as available at Powder Valley. PV shows almost all Remington and Winchester primers available.

What you may be running into is the fact that a lot of the brick and mortar gun stores are and have been getting royally screwed over by their distributors. One that I do business with (large national company) has these, but they're still apparently trying to treat them as if they're in shortage. Their price to dealers is about $8.00 per thousand higher than PV'S out the door to the public price, and most are "allocated." They "allocate" these to sales people who then use them as leverage to get dealers to buy other crap that they may not need in order to be magnanimously "allowed" to buy maybe 1 or 2 thousand at the inflated price.. .. at which point these dealers eventually figure out that they can't be competitive and stop trying to sell primers.
I feel sorry for your guy, he's in a tough business.

I remember this "allocation" crap from my early experience in the biz, back in the 1970's when you couldn't get Smith and Wesson revolvers. Distributors would play the game. . They would tell you that if you would buy 3 or 4 of S&W' s crap pump shotguns (remember those?) They would let you buy one 2" barreled Model 10 (that nobody wanted either.) Ever since then, when I hear the word "allocated," I tell them to stick it up their ass.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
These rumors go round ever now and again with some of the ammo mfgs.
this all the hoards need to go stock up popcorn headed out to stock up on 9 1/2 primers while I can still get em.
Sales must be down for Remington. fishing

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
H47...I too was in the retail stuff at one time and know first hand at what your saying. I got a left hand 700 for a customer when it was damn hard to get one twenty years ago. Salesman wanted x amount of dollars spent that year for it but for some reason I shut the doors and went into custom work. Best decision I ever made!

I can find them on line but not on shelves here anywhere's.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along with this, I would be pretty sure that the big online people buy direct from the manufacturer. No middle man or distributor in the way to gum up the works. With the increase in online sales, I almost want to have the impression that the factory to distributor to brick and mortar store system is becoming or has already become obsolete. Actually the way the whole gun business is done has been obsolete for years. Given this, I imagine the distributors are trying to hold on, but in order to do so, they have to "force" sales a bit, hence the game playing.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Remington 9 1/2 primers are all but impossible to find around here and was told by a well respected reloading store owner that Remington was dropping it reloading components. Forcing the public to buy their loaded ammo Forcing the public to buy their loaded ammo, anyone know anything about this or if it's even true?

Not sure how dropping their line of reloading components "forces" anyone into anything.

Most everyone knows Remington brass is thin. I weighed two .357 cases; one Federal, one Remington. The Federal case was 9 grains heavier.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
See Saeed's thread on primer testing. IME primers don't have a whole heck of a lot to do with any given load. Sure you may have to tweak things a little to work up with Winchester or Federals but it can be done.
If your local guy doesn't carry them you may have to eat the hazmat fees and buy on line but that's a good excuse to stock up on other components. That's what got me through the shortages of the last few years as I had stocked up when things were more available.
And just wait until the new California mail order ammo ban hits in Jan 2018. Can reloading components be far behind?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More the most part I've used whatever I could find and buy in bulk or whatever amount I could get. When components got scarce some of each brand could be found at various shops but were usually sold in limited amounts...sometime only a box of 100 at a time.

For hunting things bigger than a rabbit I found I could tune any load to get the less than 1/2"accuracy I required by fiddling with the load a bit...changing seating depth, amount or brand of powder or bullet so as long as I had SOME of the right sized primers I kept on keeping on. I did curtail my varminting because I couldn't find Fed GM SR primers and horded the ones I did have. I bought those by the BIG box.

I would say PHU* Kalifornia but whatever way that miserable state goes, so goes the rest of the nation in time. Mad thumbdown barf flame BOOM archer Where's the five finger salute rolled into one when I need it. pissers

YOU NEVER KNOW THAT YOUVE LOST UNTIL YOU LOOSE IT. shocker

LUCK beer tu2

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'm not short on primers...I have Win., CCI, Federal. I have a load for a 338/06 that loves the Remington 9 1/2 primers. I've used the others at times and it shoot them well, but why settle for well when you can have better. coffee I can see a difference in what primer I use in this rifle more than the other rifles.