New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Bore 45 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It was recommended to a friend that he could shoot these loads (300 gr., 1300 fps) in his Ruger Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP convertible. What do you think?

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot them. They're fine in a Blackhawk or a Freedom Arms. They're expensive, if you handload you can get basically the same performance with a heavy hardcast bullet and either H110/WW296 or Hodgdon Lil' Gun pretty easily for a lot less money. Take care they don't find their way into a Colt SAA or clone as you will have a very bad day if they do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Adrook. Went to the Buffalo Bore site and the loads were called +P, whatever that means. No specific pressures were indicated. What kind of pressure do you think is necessary to drive a 300 gr. bullet that velocity. I do know in years past people were warned to not try to magnumize the 45 Blackhawks because of thin cylinder walls. Things seem to have changed.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you aks Tim Sundles who owns Buffalo Bore, that question at his website?

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+P means high pressure. I would guess that BB's loads are in the range of 30K CUP. Actually, the warnings against high pressure loads in a .45 Colt due to thin cylinder walls pertain to the SAA and its clones, not the Blackhawk. Here's a good article that John Linebaugh wrote a while back about this very subject Smiler

http://www.linebaughcustom.com/Articles/THE45COLTDISSOL...bid/201/Default.aspx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beware of shooting these in a new vaquero or blackhawk. They are smaller than they used to be, and have thinner cylinder walls. The old vaqueroes and blackhawks can handle them just fine.

I've shot them in an old model vaquero, (4.5" bbl, non-bisley), and it was a hoot!

I mainly got them for my Marlin '94 cowboy for hog huntin' but have not had a chance to shoot a hog yet with it. They made that lightweight marlin kick a bit though...

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
I've shot the 325gr 45 Colt Buffalo Bore out of my Bisley... While they did possess some awesome power, the accuracy left alot to be desired. After I started handloading, I was able to duplicate this power and add the missing accuracy component. Just my experience, in my gun. YMMV thumb

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote