New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag cases to .338 win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Inasmuch as I have 350 win mag cases maybe I should form .338 Win. from them..

Not sure what steps to take but do I need a set of case forming dies or can I get by with just the 338 die and a hacksaw to cut them off. MIght just get a way with a file trim die and the 338 resizer???

Am I on track

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should do it. I would anneal first though to make things easier as the shoulder of the .300WM brass will be the .338's neck. May have to neck turn also but I don't think so.
I would use IMPERIAL SIZING WAX on the shoulder of the .300WM brass and size a little at a time.

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338WM case is shorter than the 300WM. I think the brass will be worked very hard to do this, but I have no personal experience.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why it is best to anneal the case necks and shoulders!

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work fine. Unless the .300 Win brass has been fired more than once you probably won't need to anneal it. In my experience it is very easy to over-soften brass in the annealing process, in which instance the case neck just collapses when you attempt to run the larger expander into the smaller neck. A tapered expander would be best, but if you don't have one do two steps by using a .318" or .323" expander then a .338" expander.

I don't think you'll find any issue with the brass thickness of the previous shoulder, although it will show up as a slight band on the new .338 Win necks. I doubt you'll need any neck reaming.

Of course, the final step will be trimming about .15" off of the reformed cases and chamfering the mouths.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Sell the .300's to someone that can use them as is.... and buy new .338's.

The time spent, isn't worth the effort IMO...

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktail53:
Ray,

Sell the .300's to someone that can use them as is.... and buy new .338's.

The time spent, isn't worth the effort IMO...

best suggestion so far. Somebody has some 338WM brass.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote