New
Find
Notify
Tools

does reg vs mag primers do in med rifle loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have old H4831 and I load for rem 7 mag, 270, 280, and 7mm-08 in the 140 to 150 grain bullets.

What would be the difference using the mag primer in the other rifles and not just the 7 mag???
It has been a while since I reloaded.

ThE Hornaday whitetail bullets were cheap and shoot well in 6 different rifles all under an inch or better but why wast them with all this old stuff. So the last few years I have shot them instead of reloading till now.

I mainly used to reload nosler 150 but have switched to 139/140 bullets.

If you use the old H4831 and have a good load for 140/139 grain bullets In the above rifles would appreciate the load information.

My s standard has to not shoot any round that the group was over an inch but it is trying times.

JIm

I have a friend in the Texas hill country with multiple ranches and lots of hogs. Last week just out doing pxs of the assorted animals killed 25 plus hogs from piglet size up to 250 lbs.
I Got a px of a big deer that rough scores 200-208 gross typical not counting the extra odd points. Another low fenced ranch has both elk and red deer free roaming. It is a blast to call a few coyotes and shot hogs and take pictures of all the other animals.

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it doesn't hurt anything, but your gonna have to slightly change your load to compensate and keep the accuracy.

if that's all I had and/or all I could get my hands on, it certainly wouldn't stop me from using them.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using RL22 in my 7mm RM and tried both standard and magnum Remington LR primers. I can't tell much difference - the standard primers seem to group better with 66 - 67 grns RL22 and 140 grain CoreLokt Ultra bullets.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It sounds great to have so many hogs readily available; here doing a hog hunt is a big undertaking.
Even though we have 80 million hogs in this state, none is free ranging. All are pink and in prisons.
Oh, primers; use mags on 4831.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think any difference depends on what powder you choose for any particular load. In my experience I can remember only one load where a magnum primer lifted MV significantly over a standard primer. In other loads I tried magnums often gave velocity increase but the difference was minimal. I think the main difference you might see is a change in either accuracy or POI. In my case the accuracy fell off in medium rifle loads. I use Federal Magnum 215 primers only in 300 WM and 375 H&H.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little off the beat, but I use (especially now CCI LPM primers #350) in many of my not especially and don't need to be accurate calibers such as .30-30, .35 Rem. 375 Win, .444, .45-70 etc and have good results. I gave some to a friend and he said he has had good results in his heavy barreled .308 and standard .270W Savage rifles. The reason I use them it that I have many and also due to the shortage of primers on the market.
Try your magnum primers and see what happens!

I watched carefully for pierced primers with the LPM primers but you shouldn't have to !

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it really depends on what primers you use and how close to total max your loads are.I used to use WLR Primers for my standard cartridges and WLRM Primers in my magnum rifles.I decided to try the magnums in my 308 Win's,30-06's and 338-06 and to be honest with you I really didn't see much difference and I kept the same load I was using with the standard primers.They work great for me so now I just buy and use magnums for all my rifles.I'm happy with my results.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I load 60 Grs. of H=4831sc behind a 130 Gr Hornady Interlock. With Fed 215 mag. primers I get an average velocity of 3091 fps from my Sako with a 24" barrel. I tried Remington std. primers and velocity dropped to an average of 2934 fps. A drop of 157 fps. The only thing that changed was the primer.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester WLR Primer is supposed to be one of the hottest standard primers.I was using a standard CCI primer on a starting load of Reloader-22 when I was fire lapping a 300 Win Mag.I was getting some hang fires and a couple of rounds didn't even fire.I pulled the bullets later on the ones that didn't fire.The powder was black,but none of it ignited.Primers were probably about ten years old,but this was the only time I've had issues with primers.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's mighty consistant shooting.

Last I had much 4831 I'd stopped loading
for about 15 years. Dad dumped all 18 lbs of
it in a hole in some rocks and fired it off
with 5 sticks of big powder covered over and
tamped with a bucket load of dirt. He wanted
to "develop a seep and see if it would make a
spring" in one of his pastures.

When the washtub sized rocks stopped flying by
at 100yds they went to look and nice stream
running with a dandy pond blown out. Didn't
need the bucket loader to dig any.

Hell of it was: that was 50 cent a pound 4831.
At the time I learned it was gone, it was selling at $15.50.

Don't we wish??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote