Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seperating brass sizes...9mm versus 380
 Login/Join

posted
I have recently started reloading 9mm among my other cartridges. I have a friend and his wife that I shoot with that both carry a 380. They want me to load for them for practice.
We shoot together, so we pick up our brass together, and they obviously get mixed up.
Does anyone have a quick and easy way to seperate 9mm brass from 380?
The only thing I have come up with is to stand every case up and just look to see which ones are shorter. I stand them up in groups and then look, but even this is really time consuming.

Ideas ?

Posts: 3 | Location: Central Florida  | Registered: 14 May 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you have a lot and are going to do it often Midway or Dillion sell a basket separator. You can get a 380/9mm insert for it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
https://www.shellsorter.com

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, make your friend sort them out; he is the one causing the problem.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Are you guys shooting hundreds and hundreds rounds each outing?
Red sharpie across the primer of one caliber and blue (or maybe nothing) on the other.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend shoots 9MM and gives me any 380 brass he picks up. I stand them all up in a loading block and always find a few 9MM he missed. Doesn't take too long, but I'm only dealing with a few hundred cases at one time.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, make your friend sort them out; he is the one causing the problem.

+1!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found after gathering brass of all sizes from the range into a five gallon bucket then later hand sorting sometimes months later.

That by doing it enough I can spot nearly all the different sizes just by looking at them in my gloved hands.
No, I'm not claiming 100%, but, it's way up in the high 90's%.

The main problem I've found/had is the 380's will slip inside the 9's, ACPs, 32's, 25's etc and can be a real bitch to get apart. Especially after running them thru the shaker getting some grit in with them on the few I missed.

Depending on my attitude at the time, some get tossed in the scrap bucket rather than fighting it.

I do it just to gather brass. What I don't shoot, is great trading materials among friends.

Have fun, that's the thing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As suggested marking them before is easy. Also lets you identofy a high primer as you run thearker pen over the case head and primer. Old method used by those of us shooting in action shooting sports who want our own brass back amd not that of other shooters... Also pick up more frequently and sort as you go.

Lastly friends don't let friends carry 380's.... unless they are 007.

Posts: 688 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The main problem I've found/had is the 380's will slip inside the 9's, ACPs, 32's, 25's etc and can be a real bitch to get apart. Especially after running them thru the shaker getting some grit in with them on the few I missed.

yup and then you through them into a dillon 650 case feed. and then you practice pronouncing every four letter word you know Mad

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote