Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Hydro-stabilised
 Login/Join

posted
Out of curiosity more than need, I ordered a packet of .366 286gr hydro$tatically $tabili$ed bullets. They have a green plastic round nose on the front. Is this supposed to break up on impact? Is it there to improve feeding? They sure are long!

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, yes.

Swift also does this with their solids.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tell me more about these.
I find, so far, that all the new fangled gimmicky bullets kill no better than what we used in the old days.

Posts: 17084 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that they are simply brass solids with driving bands. The polymer tip is likely to make them more aerodynamic, but the tip is in a hollow recess, which should serve to open up the solid some. I wouldn't doubt that they are a well-engineered bullet.

The real questions is whether or not they are more effective than other hunting bullets.
From their website:
Woodliegh

Actually looks like a real thumper!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the bullet mfg's are just preparing for the day when lead in bullets is banned. We are be desensitized to alternatives.

Posts: 3663 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The bullets are supposed to make a large, deep wound channel without expanding. I have loaded them in both the 338WM and 375 Win but not shot anything with either, so far.

What I have had, though, is trouble with seating depths because the front 'driving bands' are so far forward. My Sako .338 has a long magazine but the throat seems relatively short; the 94 'Big-Bore', on the other hand, has a good long throat but the action length won't let me seat the bullets out far enough to get much powder behind them.

Those green tips are purely for ease of feeding from box magazines. They can be removed to shorten the COL if the bare bullet feeds OK.

Posts: 4927 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm sure the new green deal will ban lead, as well as cars, planes, and beef.
Oh, wait, doesn't matter; guns are banned too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the far recesses of my feeble mind I seem to remember some countries ban all metal bullets. The plastic tip avoids this issue and sheds on impact.

That being said, I will be going to Australia later this year for Asian buffalo and the PH HIGHLY recommends the Hydros. I am in the process of developing a load for my 450NE.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about joking about banning beef...it takes 10 times more water to get a pound of beef than a pound of soy beans...the Saudi's bought 15 square kilometers of land in Arizona just to raise veggies that are shipped off to the Middle East and using up OUR WATER to do it because their aquifers are just about dry...and there is growing concern about poor starving, water-less third world peoples getting ready to REALLY start rioting....better get your killing in while you can AND there is something to kill. If you are going to Australia you might just take along your own water supply also.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, it is not a joke; read the new green deal that has been presented by the new kid dem congresswoman. I refuse to capitalize it or use her name but it is very real and very dangerous. .

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Talk about joking about banning beef...it takes 10 times more water to get a pound of beef than a pound of soy beans...the Saudi's bought 15 square kilometers of land in Arizona just to raise veggies that are shipped off to the Middle East and using up OUR WATER to do it because their aquifers are just about dry...and there is growing concern about poor starving, water-less third world peoples getting ready to REALLY start rioting....better get your killing in while you can AND there is something to kill. If you are going to Australia you might just take along your own water supply also.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

We have water ... sometimes. NSW and Queensland were in drought for five or seven years, causing many thousands of fish to die from algae blooms in the Darling River.

Then, a bit farther north, they had floods from rain measured in metres, drowning most of the cattle that had survived the drought. Trouble is I don't think any of that water has drained into the Darling.

Posts: 4927 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Tell me more about these.
I find, so far, that all the new fangled gimmicky bullets kill no better than what we used in the old days.

Yep.

Anyone telling you that their bullets will ALWAYS penetrate straight, are lying.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66886 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote