THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What is the difference in IMR powder and H power since both are Hodgdon powders?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the difference in IMR powder and H power since both are Hodgdon powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking on the Hodgdon site they have IMR POWDER AND THE SAME ID NUMBER WITH A Hodgdon BRAND H.
Do they make both powders if so what is the reloading difference with the same#?

Since everyone is sold Out of powder for sale.

Has anyone tried the H Superformance powder?

It is listed as a reload power for those that want to reloaded the same powder as Hodgdon makes for Hornaday ammo.

I have not reloaded much since I found the cheap Hornaday Whitetail ammo. Cheap and shoots from one hole to less than an inch group in 6 different rifles from 270,7 mag and 7mm-08 with the 139gr sp and 140gr for the 270s.

Downside flat base and so so BC but to 350 great and 7mm-08 gets 2880 and the 7 mag gets 3100+.

Is this the powder that Hornaday uses to load their rounds? Thanks. Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to turn on notifications

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR was originally made by DuPont. DuPont got out of the gun business. Same bunch that has Hogdgon bought IMR and Winchester powders. Some of IMR**** are very similar to the H****. Some are not. I personally do not interchange them ever! I have never see the H Superformance. So no dealing with it.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly; and they are NOT interchangeable. Just that Hodgen owns both lines.
IMR is Improved Military Rifle, FI, useless information.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hodgdon doesn't actually make powder they are the bottle neck in the distribution stream.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Several of the most-popular H numbers are made in Australia, which, along with Woodleigh bullets, makes me happy and proud, esp. since this is a country where manufacturing is either looked down on or thought prohibitively expensive.

I don't know where the IMR powders come from but the ADI (AR ...) H powders Hodgdon uses seem to have a reputation for being stable in tropical climates.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
hodgdon doesn't actually make powder they are the bottle neck in the distribution stream.

Hodgdon's is mainly a 're-marketer' of powders. Given that, they test powders and maintain staff and a website to assist reloaders in using the powders that they buy/import/re-market. Without them we would be pretty much screwed.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now that they handle accurate/western powders we are.

all I need is an idea of what a powder is similar to, it doesn't even have to be a specific number,, just a range is fine.

just get the stuff to me in some sort of volume.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Most....or should I say the lions share of Hodgdon powder is imported from Australia.

They make some but import most.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now here's an interesting note. Long time ago I had 4895 if different flavors. That is military surplus, real Dupont IMR 4895, Hodgdon's 4895, and Accurate's 4895. When loading for my 32 Special using a 170 grain cast bullet I used the same weight charge for all those and interesting note is that they were very close on my scale. More interesting is that when I shot them over the chronograph the difference in velocity between all of them was only 9 fps. I spoke to Hodgdon about this one time and they were most interested. I was shocked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
now that they handle accurate/western powders we are.

all I need is an idea of what a powder is similar to, it doesn't even have to be a specific number,, just a range is fine.

just get the stuff to me in some sort of volume.

Maybe a burn rate chart will give you some reference.... just don’t read too much into it.

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content.../burn-rate-color.pdf

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If you look up the safety data sheets on the Hodgdon website by selecting Hodgdon, IMR or Winchester products (hit the respective icons) and then under Resources,you will get the manufacturers of the powders.
Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders are different manufacturers and different powders.

Some H powders are very close in burning rate to their IMR equivalent numbered powder e.g. IMR and H4350 are interchangeable in the 7mm-08 whereas IMR 4831 is slightly faster than H4831 and needs a few grains less for starting loads to work up.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted.
WAS from ADI.
most of it got flopped to Canada during the last shortage when ADI's wash plant burned down.

Grinch.
I'm talking about the C-marked stuff and the data powders.
they are much cheaper and faster to make.
the exact burn speeds however tend to wander a bit.

so you could ask for a 4895 and get either a 3031 or 4064 [fast or slow side of either] burn speed.
I can live with that if it's on the shelf and closer to 100$ a jug versus nothing at 220$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys:

I was just looking thru the Dec 3rd sale offerings
at Redding Auction.

LOT's of powders, primers, ammo, brass, .22 ammo
and other stuff. Might be worth your time to look
thru the "smalls and box/choice" offerings.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:
Has anyone tried the H Superformance powder?

It is listed as a reload power for those that want to reloaded the same powder as Hodgdon makes for Hornaday ammo.

Is this the powder that Hornaday uses to load their rounds? Thanks. Jim

Superformance powder from Hodgdon is pretty slow. Approx H4831sc burn rate. It's not what you get in Hornady's ammo. I've had good luck with it. It meters very well in an RCBS Uniflo measure. Seems that high load densities (fill ratio) and higher pressures makes the velocities more consistent.

It's a ball powder made in USA. You can fit a lot of it in a case. I think I remember we got 48-49gr behind a 162AMAX in a 7mm-08 and got over 2800fps. Unless you use it with some light projectiles, it might be too fast for heavy projectiles in 7mm Rem Mag.