Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Grand Slam
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
How do these bullets compare to the TSX/Partition/Accubonds? I found a great deal on the Grand Slams but have never reloaded them or used them on game. I remember Nitrex ammunition loaded with the Grand Slam but never had an opportunity to try them in my .280.

Looking at .277/.284/.308/.338

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great, a question in an area that I have experience in.

I have used Grand slams in the 7mm Mag (160-grain), the 30-06 (165-grain), and the .375 H&H Mag (285-grain).

They work very well. The slightly blunter tip opens well on soft skinned animals, but the bullet hold together well at the base. They also tend shoot accurately, courtesy of the tangent ogive.

They are fine for North America. If you can get them for a good price, that is a plus. Also you can afford to shoot them often. Not practicing with your hunting load is false economy indeed.

Good luck

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response LawnDart,

Natchez has the 50ct .277 130gr Grand Slam bullets for $12.99/50. $15.49/50 for the .284 175gr which may be handy for my 7mm STW.

It looks like most of them are $12-$20 per 50 which seems like a good deal for a bullet that is made for deep penetration. Although the Nosler seconds are very close in price. I was thinking the Grand Slam was more expensive than this...or maybe the price has come down recently.

It is great to get quality bullets in bulk to work up loads and use for practice and for the field. I really like the Partition and haven't had the chance to use the Accubond on an animal yet.

Back to the topic -- Internal jacket flutes and Speer claiming consistent expansion and retaining weight for deep penetration...this may be a good thing to load for hog hunting as well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya bro, I think you are on to something for the hogs. Those Speer prices are quite good. Nothing, or almost nothing goes down in price over time. You can get the same bullet diameters in Partitions for about $20.00/50 from Shooters Pro Shop. As your stash of Grand Slams dwindles, it might make sense to try a box or two of the discounted Noslers.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I still have some Speer "Deep shok" bullets. Same thing. They (DS) were VERY affordable but only had a short run. They were sold 100 per box. Then the DS went away and Voila, the "New" Grand Slam appeared. Same exact design. Speer can make the GS for less then the average premium. They are much simpler design then the old dual core GS, more accurate and still very tough.
I loaded up on Speer Mag tips before they went away as well. They are also great bullets with some similarities. Not the best BC but they kill good. They all have extra thick copper shanks and hold together very well. The GS is the epitome of old school cup and core perfection and perform much like a good bonded bullet.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Natchez has the 50ct .277 130gr Grand Slam bullets for $12.99/50. $15.49/50 for the .284 175gr which may be handy for my 7mm STW.

If you order some their shipping charges might add several dollars per box.

If you buy some let us know what they charged you for shipping.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grand slams are very very good bullets. I do not understand why they have been so ignored or even disparaged on so many discussion forums. They are accurate, deadly, and perform as expected. I have used them to take more than a dozen elk and a few deer and caribou in .35 Whelen, .270, and 7x64, and a buddy uses them exclusively in his .270 to take many elk, moose and deer. My sons use them for deer and elk in their 7mm08 rifles. They have been perfectly reliable, always penetrating deeply, and even when encountering heavy bones they hold together. They produce fairly quick kills. One of my favourite bullets.

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I haven't used them in my 280 either, but I have loaded 145g Grand Slams in my 7X57 Mauser, shooting 50g of Accurate 4350. I've actually knocked deer DOWN dead in their tracks where they were standing.

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I used Grand Slams in my 7mm Mag Ruger many years ago on Whitetail and like Longwalker I had several that only went about 3 feet (straight down)when hit. I think they were 160 grains.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote