THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 auto rim +p loads. Got any good ones?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
Hey guy's I have done a bit of research on the. 45 auto rim and I can't find anything that is like a +p load. I have a 625 revolver I want to load a bit warm, I'm looking for a 230 grai3load that will hit approximately 1000 fps...
Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use 45acpm data.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use 5.6 Gr. of Bluedot for my 230 G. cast 45 acp @ 860 MV. You might tweak it up a grain at a time + see where you get. The 625 is a sound revolver.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Norman
It is well built and manuals stay on the safe side these days. I saw an article written by Ken Waters on loading them stout but can't find it now.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one of the wartime Smiths a few decades ago. The AR cases had less internal capacity than ACP brass. Substituting warm ACP loads into AR brass may or may not work too well. He just ended up using ACP brass with full or half moon clips.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thats definitely worth noting,

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I tried 8.0 of power pistol for a fairly stout but nice shooting load.
Avg velocity was 947 fps with no signs of pressure or extraction issues.
My goal to hit 1000 + with a 230 grain projectile is doable.
Ill post my progress on it when I am able to.
This was using starline auto rim brass as I want to keep my loads separate from my auto pistols.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot 10.5 grs with 200 gr . Work up.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks 243 I'll try to get some bluedot. That is one I have never had on my shelf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I remember seeing that B.D. load in the speer number-8 manual.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I will research it.
My oldest book is #11 I believe.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Lamar
Well heck I just went into my shop and I do have a speer #8 that I have not referenced to in many years. Although it does not list blue dot it does list some healthy loads for a 200 grain at over 1300 fps. I'm optimistic about that but its a little more data to work with.
The #8 was 1st printed in 1970 in case anyone was curious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer #8 did not use pressure measuring equipment, maximum loads were determined by typical (= not reliable) handloader pressure signs like primer appearance and ease of extraction. Interesting from an historical standpoint it isn’t a reliable maximum load reference.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned check the AR brass internal volumn.

Load between 45ACP & 45 Super data.

Work up

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I will proceed with caution as always and watch for the signs. Ive been loading for 35 years give or take but I always appreciate input from fellow reloaders especially with near obsolete cartridges like the AR. I don't know if any of you have the #8 but pretty much every load they have listed is over 1200 with a 200 grain bullet and a few above 1300 so that in itself even from a reputable manual sends up red flags to me.
When I get around to it I'll share my results with you gentlemen.
Im surely not looking to hit 1300 but if I can get near 1200 I'd be amazed.
We shall see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im surely not looking to hit 1300 but if I can get near 1200 I'd be amazed.
We shall see

So well I book velocities are optimistic to say the least.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote