Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted
I crimp for my 416 Rigby with a Lee factory crimp die. The crimp rings of two cases came right off when I shot the rifle last week. Must have been blown through the barrel with the bullets. Clearly my crimping weakens the mouth so much so that it separates on the crimp line. What am I doing wrong? Can you over crimp with a Lee factory crimp die?

Posts: 76 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
sounds like work hardened brass.
check the thickness if it been shot a number of times it could have thin neck.
I don't think you can over crimp with a lee crimp die. maybe if its modified

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hivelosity. But I anneal the cases regularly by applying the flame directly on the neck whilst turning. The cases of which the mouth crimps separated, must have been used three times max.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture of a crimped cartridge with your current set up?

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
As with anything it can be over done. I would say you over crimped your cases.
when I first started using my FCD I over did it, Not as you did, never lost part of the case.
I might recommend you adjust the FCD so it crimps just the edge of the case mouth, not so much as to have a straight flat area on the neck.
That's what I did, had the flat section of neck.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If you have your press set to a dead stop or you let it cam over The collet will only close so far/?
Do you trim you brass after each reload ?
If not you could have damaged the mouth of the case by re-crimping in the same crimp.
are you crimps on the cannalure?
Picture is worth a 1000 words. Like the Africa says
I have loaded a lot of 416 weth. mags and never had an issue

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
Thank you everybody - this is my crimp. I crimp my Rigby loads “upside down” with a Lee FCD for 416 Remington - just add the appropriate spacers!
https://imgur.com/a/h48dZ
https://imgur.com/a/4E99s

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are over crimping, forming a step which weakens the brass. I do not like the Lee factory crimps.
I like a smooth, rounded turned over crimp; not the sharp step like you have. Over crimping is not necessary. They aren't for machine guns.

Posts: 17074 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I had that issue with .458 WM Hornady brass once even on brand new cases.

Never with any other brass.

But I agree you may be crimping a little too hard. With CEB bullets...I like the case mouth to stop just behind a band...then lightly crimp the mouth into the groove with a LFC die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36450 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are over crimping,

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Making that sharp stepped crimp into a sharp machined groove in those brass bullets is asking for the cartridge brass to be pulled off at the weakened place.

Posts: 17074 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
dpcd:

Exactly. Putting "same heavy crimp" to soft bullet body or "round" groove is different story.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I shoot 100's of those CEB brass bullets per year. I crimp them all with a LFC die...albeit in standard fashion.

I try to work all loads with those where I seat the case mouth to the base of a band and then set the die where it just gently rolls over the next band back into that relief groove.

I have .500 NE brass that have been loaded over 10 times and never annealed. No issue.

The same with .458 WM and .375 H&H. Usually only get 10 loading with .458 but forever with .375 brass...both Winchester.

I tried a box of Hornady .458 brass and had this problem on first firing of new brass...with no change to set up.

Went back to WW brass...no issue.

But I agree that those .416 hulls have way too much crimp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36450 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I’ve had some issues with a few Lee FCD’s. Not all. The ones I had issues with we put a very slight taper on them to get rid of the sharp edge on the bottom. Problem solved. Not sure how my machinest buddy did it but he said it was easy.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adam2
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again for all the good advice. Because I crimp upside down I'm going to add another spacer to reduce the crimp surface on the mouth but with the bullet seated as it is right now. I will file the sharp edge off the die (easier from the top) and apply a softer crimp to just gently fold the mouth edge into the groove. Simples!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adam2:
I crimp for my 416 Rigby with a Lee factory crimp die. What am I doing wrong? Can you over crimp with a Lee factory crimp die?

Hell yes dancing

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The LFC die is adjusted by regulating how far you ram up the sleeve at the die bottom. I start by just contacting the sleeve with the shell holder and moving up at 1/4 die turn increments. It doesn't take much to give a tight crimp. Your pics show way too much crimp. You barely want to imprint the brass with the collet fingers.

Posts: 3662 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOre likely is annealing can be tricky if you guess and by gosh it without the temp paint. Ive never had any problem with the Lee crimp, but if necks get thick I can see where it could be a problem...Check your chamber, might need to inside or outside trim the necks, also check your trim length, lots can go wrong when brass isn't right, especially with big bore brass that tends to be thin in many cases, particularly in double rifle calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote