New
Find
Notify
Tools

The price of primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While priming cases for my 6.5 PRC I opened up a 1000 primer box. Noticed a price of $16.00 on the front of the box. The three boxes of 1000 beside that box were marked $39.00. I try to keep at least 15000 on hand in case the market goes crazy like it has. I also found an old box that I now keep once fired cases in. Price tag on that box of 1000 was $4.95. Just wanted to relate the price difference of todays primers and past. I started reloading in 1973 and learned in 1992 when Clinton was elected I should have enough primers, brass and powder to get me through the coming storm. Just a statement of the state of things for the roloader. I have a son and six grandsons and a grandaughter that I load for that have never shot a factory round and never will. Now training them to follow in my footsteps. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I just made up an inventory of stuff.
Bullet, Power, primers.

Found a few boxes of Alcan and Norma primers.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Locally I only see Federal primers for sale.
$19.99 before tax for a box of 100.
Glad I don't need any for now.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back in 1958 when I first started reloading.
Primers were 25 cents a 100. shortly they doubled. Not too long later a buck.

Lots of powder was 50 cents a pound. I had 18#
of 50 cent 4831 when I stopped playing the game a few years.

Dad poured it all in a hole with 5 sticks of dynamite to "develop a seep" in hope's it would
make a spring for the cattle pasture.

Once the big rocks quit falling they went to check and found a nice pond blown out and a good
flow of water. Didn't need to use the loader
to dig out the hole with.

Not too long after that I got back into it and
found powder was then $15.50. When I bitched about the loss. He gave us half a beef. Guess that made up for it.

The last primers I bought were $9/1000. Still have most of them. Mighty glad I stocked up back in 2011 when I did. Just too bad PVI didn't have more in stock that day.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was buying 100 for $1.99

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, these cost escalations are solely due to the political climate, which happens every 4 years. However, this one is worse. Everything gun-related from primers to powder to dies, loaded ammo, etc. ad nauseum. I have seen primers for sale between 2-400 dollars + powder selling for $150.00 an lb.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have seen primers for sale between 2-400 dollars + powder selling for $150.00 an lb.

im glad I enough powder, primers, bullets to last me and my family for about the next 20-25 years, son-in-laws and grandsons.. I don't do much shooting right now...$$$

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I have a lot of Flint Lock rifles; no primers needed.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Last week I found primers at Sportsman's Warehouse and Cal Ranch in Carson City. Sportsman's had several choices and limited purchases to one brick. My son and I each bought small rifle and pistol at $22-$25 per brick. Cal Ranch only had Federal small rifle at $4 per 100 and limited of one box.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im shooting some old CCI 200s marked 37 cents per 100...and they work, I bought them at a gunshow in 1973 as I recall, switched to Fed 210 about then I think..Im out of 210 and getting short on 215s..I saw a couple of cartons sell for $500 at the local gun show and the guy bought them all and sold them for $1500 per carton (1000) at his table in less than 15 minutes..got everyones attention..It got so bad that Spts whse says one carton per person and one pound of powder per person like thats going to work NOT!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but for 1500 per carton I would probably put my ammunition and components away for a rainy day and take up golf.lol

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote