Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H with 300 gr TSX and CEC solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I'm going lion hunting in September and plan on taking my 375 H&H. I haven't loaded for this gun in a while. I shot a brown bear in '15 with 300 gr TSX and still have 60 or so still loaded up. At the time I had my guy work up a load and my rifle liked 65 g of RL 15, 215M, Norma brass. Anemic per Barnes data but still gets over 2560 fps per Quickload (lost my data page).

Anyway I need to work up a load with some CEC solids (also 300 gr). Of course I will shoot up all those loaded TSX rounds practicing over the next few months.

So the question is do I work up the solids to the same/previous 300 gr TSX velocity/POI or do I start from scratch with another TSX weight - higher vel and coordinate solids POI with real chronicles data?

Any other recipes are of course welcome.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no way to tell if the two types of bullets will have the same point of impact.

In some rifles, they do.

In others they do not.

If you are not hunting elephants, there is no need for solids at all.

This is especially true for lion hunting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66886 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Not sure how quickload gets 2560 with that load. Max I got with that bullet and rl15 was 2511. I think I was right at 75gr. Or a tad under.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Help then!!! 75 gr is 109% fill capacity, over 91,000 psi 2886 fps on my version?????????????????? 65 gr is 95% fill, 58,343 & 2563 fps.

What's wrong with my QL?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’m 400+ miles from my old load stuff. On the site they show 75gr RL15 as max

I have never used QL so I’m not sure what parameters are Changeable. I’ll get my load when I can.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
From Alliant's site:

For 300 grain bullets they only list this:

375 H&H Magnum - Speer 300 gr TBBC SP - Reloder 15 - 70 grains -2,485 fps

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12516 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Help then!!! 75 gr is 109% fill capacity, over 91,000 psi 2886 fps on my version?????????????????? 65 gr is 95% fill, 58,343 & 2563 fps.

What's wrong with my QL?

I think you two are loading to different lengths. 65 gr of RL15 is probably all you can get in a 375 with 300 gr monometals if you are loading to 3.6” COL.

If he’s getting 75 grains in the case, he’s loading to a longer length, which is why his data and your QL data don’t match.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add...with monometal (long) bullets in a Mauser that required me to stay under 3.6” COL, I had to abandone RL15 and move to a faster powder. I went to 4064 and get good velocities with phenomenal accuracy in with every bullet I’ve tried.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That makes sense.

My guy develops loads POI loads outside his house- shoots one, brings it inside to cool down, shoots again, etc. Beats the hell out of taking 10 guns to the range in 101* temps......don't have the time, patience or temperament to do so any more.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Then there is still this question above, why would you want solids for a Lion hunt?

If this helps, both of my .375 H&H's shoot 300 grain TSX and 300 grain Nos Partition fairly close to each other with 71.5 grains Reloader 15. Over 2500fps
The partitions are 1.5"-2" groups and the TSX is about .6" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

Then there is still this question above, why would you want solids for a Lion hunt?

If this helps, both of my .375 H&H's shoot 300 grain TSX and 300 grain Nos Partition fairly close to each other with 71.5 grains Reloader 15. Over 2500fps
The partitions are 1.5"-2" groups and the TSX is about .6" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

I was told to bring some solids. I have never questioned what my outfitters or guides have asked me to bring: either with bullets, guns, gear or anything else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC, I too wondered about the solids for lion but maybe your PH likes them in the event of a follow up.

I have had very good results with my .375 H&H using 300 grain Northfork soft points and their 300 grain flat point solids. I use RL 15, Fed 215M primers and mostly Winchester brass. I can get them to the same POI at 100 yards using slightly less powder with the solid. Both right around 2500 fps MV but I don't push it when I get excellent accuracy. Good luck.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

I found some old notes and this was my load as well. 71.5gr RL15. I did go up to 72.5 but settled on 71.5. @ 2511fps.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can......100 yds

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nice. What load(s) gave you that?

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I had been using up my 2 year old bear loads I had a guy work up for me..I had 60 TSX already left over from that hunt...just seated some solids over the same load.

65 gr RL 15 (for both), 215M, Norma brass, 300 gr TSX and 300 gr CEB solids 2.540" COAL for the TSX.....uncrimped solids. I forgot the COAL for the solids, just went to first driving band(bought a second seater for those). I know the original TSX load was 2400 fps. Haven't chrono'd the solids...and no need to.

First shots with the crimped solids resulted in a lightly stuck bolt. I loaded 3 more uncrimped and shot this morning and voila....

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fire a few rounds with the un-crimped Solids in the magazine to make sure you do not get any set back when the rounds bang around the box

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also give CEB a call they will have someone there to help

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
I had been using up my 2 year old bear loads I had a guy work up for me..I had 60 TSX already left over from that hunt...just seated some solids over the same load.

65 gr RL 15 (for both), 215M, Norma brass, 300 gr TSX and 300 gr CEB solids 2.540" COAL for the TSX.....uncrimped solids. I forgot the COAL for the solids, just went to first driving band(bought a second seater for those). I know the original TSX load was 2400 fps. Haven't chrono'd the solids...and no need to.

First shots with the crimped solids resulted in a lightly stuck bolt. I loaded 3 more uncrimped and shot this morning and voila....

If the difference between uncrimped and crimped loads is a "lightly stuck" bolt I would be backing off that powder charge a grain or two. It is generally recommended that loads for dangerous game hunting should be crimped to eliminate any possibility of bullet movement in the magazine. Need to think about the effect of temperature with a powder charge that is obviously very close to, if not at or slightly over maximum.

Posts: 3840 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote