New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 30-06 with 300 Wby velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In about the 1950s O'Connor rifle products co Ltd. Rt 1 box 572, Edisto Island S.C. sold a 5 pack of 30-06 cases that threaded into a steel head, and get incredible velocity, it was all but impossible to blow a gun up or even stick a case...Today cleaning up my shop I found one of those packets of 5...The brass case portion is straight walled so it will work in any 06 based case...I gave one case to a friend with more nuts than I and he claimed 3600 FPS with a 220 gr. Nosler paretition..

I never loaded one but kept the packet..It may be a collector iten, who knows..but apparently it didn't fly..

Any comments as to this product.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PIctures and more info sent to medium bores. Got some reaction on this company, at least some knew it existed over there..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
In about the 1950s O'Connor rifle products co Ltd. Rt 1 box 572, Edisto Island S.C. sold a 5 pack of 30-06 cases that threaded into a steel head, and get incredible velocity, it was all but impossible to blow a gun up or even stick a case...Today cleaning up my shop I found one of those packets of 5...The brass case portion is straight walled so it will work in any 06 based case...I gave one case to a friend with more nuts than I and he claimed 3600 FPS with a 220 gr. Nosler paretition..

I never loaded one but kept the packet..It may be a collector iten, who knows..but apparently it didn't fly..

Any comments as to this product.

I think anyone saying he is getting 3,600 fps with a 220 grain bullet in a 30-06 is day dreaming.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66872 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think anyone saying he is getting 3,600 fps with a 220 grain bullet in a 30-06 is day dreaming.

Unless someone can figure a way to get 160 grains of Retumbo into an '06 case. Big Grin

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe bulleye,,,He tried to blow up a Mauser rifle tied to a tractor tire and couldn't do it. Gave up on that, a lack of interest, seemed to be a scary project to me at the time..He may have guesstamated velocity, but he owned two chronographs..I saw it as too expensive and who needed that back then..Maybe todays long range shooters could benefit with the magnum version that Alf referred to..I'll just stick with my 06..Just thought it was a interesting find..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no way in hell anyone can get 3,600 FPS from a 30-06 with a 220 grain bullets!

BULLSHIT!

Plain and simple.

Posts: 66872 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right of course.
But I do remember the "Steel Heads" from the 1980s I think. They were promoted to give 300 H&H velocities from a 30-06, and operate at 80K psi. A picture of one above.
And that is how we are able to operate the M256 120mm cannon on the M1A1 and A2 Tanks at almost 100,000 PSI; steel cartridge heads. (and screwed in electric primers helps too)
But the 3600 fps thing? No way.

Posts: 17076 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care if he "only" got 3,000 fps.
I ain't shootin it.

Posts: 4965 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I apparently misquoted according to a local yokel...Tony got 3600 FPS with a 150 gr. Hornady according to him...I bow to that since its been many years past so its been awhile...I suppose that since Alf says they claimed 100,000 PSI, 3400 to 3600 FPS with a 150 might have merit..If the Wby can get near 3300 FPS at 55,000 PSI another 50,000 might kick it up there..

Its a pointless thread since none of us actually know..I Just thought it interesting find in my junk pile.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the us government played with them around ww2 or the Germans did . Can't remember , just remember reading about them in the Mauser book .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Germans used millions of rounds of all steel 8mm ammo in WW2 because brass was scarce. We used 45 and carbine all steel cases. Not at higher pressure though.
I don't know of any half and half though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe if we combine this with Elmer's primer tube to light the front of the powder column first.....

Posts: 59 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Better is to ignite the entire length of powder at once; back to Tank Cannon ammo, the primers do that; they run as far up the propellant column as possible. (One of my jobs was in 105mm tank ammo production; I had to buy the propellant, cartridge case, primer, projectile, and the load, assemble and pack (LAP)). For AMCCOM, which is now JMC. The ammo part that is.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What about the primer?

Has been converted to stainless steel too?

What about powder capacity?

Have they invented powder that has 3 times the density of normal powder?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Powder capacity was seriously diminished in this arrangement
The theory was that one could generate some 80,000 psi in this case and some claims 100,000 PSI Eeker
The truth was closer to 300 H&H velocities for equivalent bullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
The basic physics behind this concept has me questioning the validity of the claims regarding this cartridge case.
The claim originally was, and unfortunately it is second hand, (I have not seen the patent description ) that because of increased pressure the projectile could attain higher velocities than the original using a comparable bullet.

The assumption is simplistic because it tells us little of how that increase in pressure came about and whether it is mean barrel pressure or peak pressure.

Further this was there in this instance more work done on the bullet ?

If we apply the physics that govern a simple frictionless gun we can see why the claim would be invalid

my sense is the system failed because physically it did not deliver as promised.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I remember these Steel Head cartridges when they came out in 1984; they promoted as giving 300 H&H velocities out of a 30-06, and were advertised as "everlasting" much like the special thick cartridge cases of the 1880s.
But the problem is that we can almost achieve that with the usual brass case. The primer is the weak link, and as Saeed intimated, they were not made from steel. Powder capacity was decreased 8% as well.
Velocity was touted as a 150 grain 30 cal, at 31-3200 fps.
The reason they didn't succeed is because they cost $5 each when they came out in 1984, and didn't really provide enough improvement; I don't know about case life.
Read this article:
https://www.thefreelibrary.com...head%22...-a03999880

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass case is the weak link in the breeching system of a rifle, so making its head harder allows higher sustainable pressures. However, I'm not sure how to make the primer sufficiently stronger to take advantage of the higher pressure resistance of the harder case.

The steel headed cases allowed significantly increased chamber pressures -- but at the expense of case capacity. This "catch-22" would obviously work both for and against the goal of producing more velocity. If powder were added to increase pressure (and velocity), then it would have to be faster powder since the case was smaller. The net would be a little velocity gain at the expense of much greater pressure. The velocity gain would hardly be worth the extra bore wear caused by the much hotter flame of a higher pressure load.

I think this explains why the steel headed cases were a quickly passing fancy. The latter day version of this is the WSM line of thick/hard headed cases. Although made of brass, they resist deformation at several thousand PSI higher than most cases. Hardly anyone ever mentions that running significantly higher pressures is how the smaller WSM cartridges can produce velocities approaching that of the same caliber belted magnum with a demonstrably larger case -- just load it hotter.

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
"The basic idea was that the steel heads could safely withstand a much greater pressure than brass, therefore, a handloader could load to higher pressures for greater velocity."

Confused

How much greater pressure? At some point as load pressure is increased to get higher muzzle speeds the chamber or barrel or bolt lugs yield strength will be exceeded resulting in damage to the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't see either that one could achieve 3600 MV in a 06 case w/ a 30 cal. bullet.Now using Ross Seyfried's 30-416 AI then yes. Using a 416 Rigby case necked to 30 cal. to drive a 180G. bullet at close to 4000 MV.I file this one in the file of I find this interesting but why.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"sold a 5 pack of 30-06 cases that threaded into a steel head, and get incredible velocity, it was all but impossible to blow a gun up or even stick a case..."

H&K manufactors brass cases with a steel head. They may be offered for the new US military round competetion.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its obvious to me a steel primer hole will not expand, so the primer is not the question..I recall Tony telling me no primer pressure issues were apparent..

Anyway I think Ill display mine on the counter in my shop unless they have collector value then out they go.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever wonder why you can't load a 30-06 to the same pressures as a .270 Win in a modern bolt action.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigrdp51:
Ever wonder why you can't load a 30-06 to the same pressures as a .270 Win in a modern bolt action.

No, why?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a bit over the top, and someone is worrying about legal action, but those loads can be loaded safely in some guns, and some rifles can take that pressure, just walk softly and know your business..some chambers won't show those pressures, If one is a newbie to reloading then always use less than max loads, but many old timers go 2 or more grs. of most powders with certain calibers and certain rifles wherein they have tested their loads carefully and counted their reloads to see just how many reloads their reloads lasted..and they know the warning signs..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120